Watches

Dusty Chalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Slim D’Hermes will survive a shower. Forgot I was wearing it (very easy to do with this watch). No harm seems to have come to the strap, though the booklet is emphatic that it not get wet. The watch itself is fine; 3 ATM can handle a shower. Would it be sacrilege to find a really nice Milanese for this? I might even go swimming with it, then. :)

I haven’t worn the Santos Dumont much. Not from a lack of desire to (I love it, and I’m reasonably certain I didn’t make a mistake by not getting a Bulgari octofinissimo in steel instead; I’ll maybe just get one of those in 2024: anyway, it wears like a dream), I just still haven’t put the first scratch on it yet, and I’m scared. What that tells me is I need more gold watches so that I can get used to scratching gold watches.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don’t love pin and collar in 2023, and there is no micro adjust (I’m lucky with the fit), but I’m otherwise very happy with the Sandmarc titanium bracelet for Apple Watch Ultra. I would call it similar to quality to a Seiko Prospex bracelet. It’s nice enough, and works great. It can pull down straight from the lugs, so it doesn’t increase the size of the watch at all compared to the Alpine strap  

7E6CE2DA-D846-4AFB-9720-28A1D3BB4EA7.jpeg

281BCD69-16BC-4BA1-9A06-35A2F0BF8E9D.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, EdipisReks1 said:

Interesting. I’m not a gigantic fan of sharp edges on watches. Too bad I can’t try the thing on. 😕

Jacob,

I would gladly ship you my stored steel bracelet if you'd like to check it out.  I certainly am not using it.  Just send it back whenever you're done with it.  Hopefully it is more comfortable for you than on me.

I did do a bit of reading on this once I received the watch.  Seems a mixed bag....some folks either received a much more comfortable bracelet or were indifferent.  Other gents clearly were having my experience.

Sam

Hey Sam, I really appreciate the offer, but that’s okay: I’m too afraid of it getting lost in transit (I’ve now had things lost by all three major carriers this year). Hopefully when I get the watch in however many months it’ll work out for me. Shouldn’t be too hard to sell if I don’t end up liking it! 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Put in a pre-order for the Christopher Ward The 12 in titanium with a blue dial. I should have it in September. I’m looking forward to it! I was going to get an Hermes H08, but decided I just didn’t like the seconds hand. The Christopher Ward doesn’t have any details I haven’t liked, so far. 

It hurts a little, as it’s so pretty, but the JLC Master Calendar is up for sale. If anybody is interested I’ll share a link with info and pics, and I’ll give an HC price. Love the watch, but I just don’t wear it: I can’t read the damned thing because my eyes have gone to crap, so there is no point in keeping it, alas. The old saying that by the time you can afford a calendar watch you can’t read it is unfortunately true for me. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

JLC gone. I think there is a Chopard LUC that I want to replace it in the winder with; don’t quite have the deal down, but it’s amazing how cheap the LUC watches are, second hand: there is enough left over from the JLC to get my replacement espresso machine and maybe a Niche Duo (probably not, but maybe) if my wire transfer ever posts. 

Also, saw a Christopher Ward 12, the stainless version, in person. I cancelled my order. I was lucky enough to be wearing my Santos at the time, and there is no point in having both, as I would always reach for the Santos first: it just wears better on my wrist; more compact despite being larger (lug to lug is more favorable, mostly). The CW The 12 is a lot of watch for the money, though. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

My only experience with a Chopard was many a year ago at a large watch shop and the darned thing literally came apart on my wrist.  I don't know if the spring bars weren't seated in the lugs or what, but the salesman was as surprised as I was...LOL.  I kindly said thanks and excused myself...

HS

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how the links come out of this (looks like pin and collar, but isn’t, at least not a version I can seemingly remove), but an original beads of rice just about fits me on my Seamaster Cosmic, fresh from a service. I think it looks pretty great. It wears wonderfully: like an extra thin vintage DateJust. It rattles and is perfectly comfortable. It will get a lot of wear in the spring and summer, at least once I get it sized. 

IMG_1902.jpeg

• Like 4

The Chopard is very beautiful. Extremely fine. Also very heavy! It’s a chunk of white gold, and at 39.5mm fairly large. I really like it. Under 7mm, automatic. The dial is almost iridescent blank, it’s so deep. I wish this had a display case back, as I believe this is a Geneva Seal movement, but that’s okay: most of my watches have solid backs.

edit: I’ve worn it a bit the last day. I’ll have to either have a strap made or order a shorter one, as I’m on the first hole. It’s very comfortable, though: it wears very differently from the Hermes, despite the measurements being similar: the Chopard wears broader than it is, with the expanse of deeply reflective black dial, and it is physically much heavier. It gives the same feeling you get holding or wearing a Patek: it’s obviously a very fine thing even when compared to nice things. I think this is a keeper watch. I desire neither the Rolex 1908 Perpetual nor a Calatrava, anymore.

IMG_1914.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 4 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to handle some Pateks, when I had the Chopard in to have the strap replaced (gold makes me nervous). In hand there is nothing between the Chopard LUC and a Calatrava. Having said that, next time I feel like throwing down a house down payment I might get a Golden Ellipse for me and a Gondolo for Heather, as it’s a gorgeous pairing, and isn’t too “cutesy,” I think. Maybe for our tenth wedding anniversary (gotta get married first!).

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I bought this Credor as a wedding gift for Heather (she won’t get it until July of next year, but I thought it was perfect, so I went ahead and got it). I’ve never handled a Credor before. The lettering looks like it was done by hand, which I believe is a hallmark of Credor watches. It’s very small, 21mm, and I hope there is enough room on the back to engrave the date on it. I don’t think I’ll be able to get initials, too. It’s supposed to be in mint condition; still has the sticker on the back. Coming from Japan, of course.

IMG_2345.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1