Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Nice Omega!

I lived in Paletine for a couple of years as a pup.  Been a long time, but great experience coming from the Southeast originally.

HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Nice Omega!

I lived in Paletine for a couple of years as a pup.  Been a long time, but great experience coming from the Southeast originally.

HS

Thats funny. I say Chicago but realistically I grew up in the suburbs, Palatine specifically in the neighborhood of Plum Grove Estates. So Algonquin Rd and Meacham Rd. Nice house at the end of a street on a bit of land, on the Salt Creek 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Thats funny. I say Chicago but realistically I grew up in the suburbs, Palatine specifically in the neighborhood of Plum Grove Estates. So Algonquin Rd and Meacham Rd. Nice house at the end of a street on a bit of land, on the Salt Creek 

I was only there two years...almost to the day.  Bailed in 1981.  Went to Palatine HS for freshman and part of sophomore year and then relocated to Texas.  I don't miss cold weather....

HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old investment banking boss told me that a monogrammed cuff in finance is like a teardrop tattoo in prison. You know the dude's a stone cold killer. 😉

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alligator deployant strap for me Omega.  Pleased with the craftsmanship and customer service from Jean Rousseau.

 

HS

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice pickup. I get nervous with anything on a pin buckle. I always feel like I'm going up drop it putting it on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Alligator deployant strap for me Omega.  Pleased with the craftsmanship and customer service from Jean Rousseau.

 

HS

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

It looks great!

31 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Looks like a nice pickup. I get nervous with anything on a pin buckle. I always feel like I'm going up drop it putting it on. 

Just rest it on a table when you put it on.  I do that, but on my knee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the knee thing.  At home while leaning back on my couch it's all good,  but I'm at the gym a lot and sitting on a narrow bench in the locker room with hard tile flooring, I am not a fan.  But my pam with an ETA movement is my only pin buckle watch.  I really love the cheapo silicone strap I found on Amazon for it,  but I might upgrade that soon. The factory alligator pam strap is a deployment, but not water or blood friendly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

I do the knee thing.  At home while leaning back on my couch it's all good,  but I'm at the gym a lot and sitting on a narrow bench in the locker room with hard tile flooring, I am not a fan.  But my pam with an ETA movement is my only pin buckle watch.  I really love the cheapo silicone strap I found on Amazon for it,  but I might upgrade that soon. The factory alligator pam strap is a deployment, but not water or blood friendly. 

The safest place for a watch when you are at the gym is on your wrist.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I left my first ever nice watch -- a Rolex Datejust -- in an open locker at the Washington DC YMCA overnight before I realized I'd lost it. I fucking sprinted back down there from my apartment the next morning and it was a GOOD feeling opening that little door and finding it still inside!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people at the gym I go to know me and that includes every employee and the owner is a friend of my father.  It is extremely unlikely someone would cut my lock. Beyond that the vast majority of people wouldn't know what's in my locker if I took it off in front of them.

You also can't lift seriously with a watch around your wrist, you will eventually end up hurting yourself and marking up the watch.  I wouldn't even wear it on leg day,  same issues because you use your arms to hold weight, stabilize and in other caseshold yourself on machines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SeaWolf said:

Most people at the gym I go to know me and that includes every employee and the owner is a friend of my father.  It is extremely unlikely someone would cut my lock. Beyond that the vast majority of people wouldn't know what's in my locker if I took it off in front of them.

You also can't lift seriously with a watch around your wrist, you will eventually end up hurting yourself and marking up the watch.  I wouldn't even wear it on leg day,  same issues because you use your arms to hold weight, stabilize and in other caseshold yourself on machines. 

I didn't mean from a security standpoint, I just meant that a watch that is on your wrist is one that doesn't get dropped onto a tile gym locker room floor. :)

I wasn't thinking about that.  I do wear an Apple Watch when I exercise, weights included, but I'm just doing free weights at home.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have yet to drop one. Although my daughters have grabbed my DSSD, which I sold, and dropped that from about 4ft on to tile. Honestly in that equation I feared more for my tile, which luckily didn't crack or chip.

I lift a lot of weight compared to most, there is no way I could have a watch on my wrist. It would restrict range of motion on my wrist and often get bumped by dumb bells and other things. I while I do not wear my watch not tight(I have it properly fitted) but when my forearms get a pump having it on would be painful even if the other problems were not there I run out of on the fly extension when I travel to humid locations. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still love the HODINKEE blue shell strap on my Pre-Moon.  The period 16mm buckle is what completes it, and it really sets off the deep scratch Dunhill gave me in February. And I'm aware that the hour register isn't resetting correctly anymore.  This watch will need a service next year, probably.  I'm not looking forward to it.  Good thing I have a new Speedy.

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone with a Speedy FOIS can chime in as to its accuracy over time? I understand its using one of its earlier calibres and not the later in-house movements, which are COSC certified. The FOIS has a nice arrow hands that i prefer but am a bit anal in terms of accuracy over time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A talented watch maker can adjust almost any base caliber into a very accurate state. 

Many companies in house calibers are inferior to off the shelf ETA or lemania movements.

The 321 that went to the moon is lemania if i am not mistaken. 

Oh and I think all of the holy trinity brands have used lemania movements until relatively recently or up to this day. 

I find the way Rolex went "in house" hilarious.  They just went and slowly moved aegler from independent to making movements exclusively for Rolex, then finally to fully acquiring the company. How are they any different than what they were doing before? Fuck the movement in any sub today is exactly the same the off the shelf one they were buying from alger starting in the 80s(minus the new hair spring).

Same goes for most of swatch "in house" its really just ETA doing to the work(probably a good thing). Some exceptions obviously.  

Don't get caught up in that BS.

 

Edited by SeaWolf
.
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 861 based 1969 is as accurate as my 1861 based 2017 Speedy. I’ve seen Sea-gull watches that have been regulated to -2 seconds per day. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love that the moon watch family of speed masters have no date.  And they will never visually look out of date either. 

Pull out, wind, set time and go.

No wondering if I'm at the top or bottom of the day and spinning it through midnight/noon to check before then finding the quick set position and cycling the date. 

I'm a bit upset they added a date to the mkii for the new model in 2014, but i want it anyway. At least you only notice it if you're looking for it. 

Edited by SeaWolf
.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rossliew said:

Anyone with a Speedy FOIS can chime in as to its accuracy over time? I understand its using one of its earlier calibres and not the later in-house movements, which are COSC certified. The FOIS has a nice arrow hands that i prefer but am a bit anal in terms of accuracy over time..

My experience thus far, Rossliew, has been very good.  No drama unless I forget to wind it when swapping between watches.

I had the seconds timer running for several weeks just to see the movement.  Seems to use up the battery a bit more quickly, but again...accurate.

Note I've only been wearing the watch since X-mas.  Overall, super pleased with it especially now that I have the alligator on deployant clasp I always pictured it with.

HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HemiSam said:

My experience thus far, Rossliew, has been very good.  No drama unless I forget to wind it when swapping between watches.

I had the seconds timer running for several weeks just to see the movement.  Seems to use up the battery a bit more quickly, but again...accurate.

Note I've only been wearing the watch since X-mas.  Overall, super pleased with it especially now that I have the alligator on deployant clasp I always pictured it with.

HS

Thanks for the feedback, HS. Looks like a very nice first Omega watch to have with an affordable entry price. Only quibble is it doesn't have a clear case back 

I'm really not familiar at all with movements except for hearing common names like ETA. I suppose a slight drift in accuracy is very well acceptable even quartz watches are not entirely accurate. It's just the consistency that I'm most concerned about more so if u buy an expensive watch and it doesn't tell me accurate time. Well, I do appreciate that some buy watches not to tell time 😛

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×