Watches

Dusty Chalk

You yelled at me when I was going to spend money on the GTI. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I'd say I've been pretty consistent in offering a counterpoint to your ongoing spending spree.  By rough estimation your watch collection represents a sizable downpayment on a house or you could practically own the GTI outright by now.  And listen, I'm not exactly the pristine voice of reason in this debate so you can (and I'm sure do) ignore much of what I have to say.  

• Like 3

Hey Jacob, Incoming!

I was having a hard time getting used to the ticking second hand on my new nearly $2K Omega Aqua Terra quartz.  So I returned it to exchange it for a Skyfall Aqua Terra 8500 co-axial automatic, which I had to add cash to after a 15% discount. And I still don't have to pay the $525 for the full Omega service on my son's Planet Ocean (which I would have needed to do if I simply returned it for refund).

This is the previous Bond blue 39mm version with frame around the date window, with many of these still on the shelves for sale. Frankly, I don't give a dam that this is the model Daniel Craig wore in the movie, it's just that the proportions look just right.  

I really didn't like the bigger size of the newer Master-Coaxial on my wrist as much (regardless of the color), nor the polished center links, and I prefer the look of this watch with a frame around the date window.  I think the 2013-2014 model in blue is breathtaking, as the color changes with the light and movement.  It's what I wanted in the first place and half the cost of the GMT II BLNR I also lust for, although a little more than double the cost of the quartz AT.  

The serial number is only 100,000 less than the Master-Coaxial that I tried on, so a similar age, but it was also $800 less than a Master-Coax.  

I also will earn $600 in Jared Rewards, and can redeem $100 for every $300 I spend next time - so they said that I can buy back my old unworn AT quartz for $1,290 after rewards.  Do you think I should?  I have until Sunday to decide, but frankly Ben doesn't want it and I probably won't wear it nearly as much as the Skyfall (although it is very thin and pretty).  I was planning to sell a mid-size Seamaster Pro and Seamaster Great White GMT to help pay for this new upgrade, so I'm thinking the answer is no.

Also, thanks for the deal on the leather strap Jacob, it arrived safely and should look good on my Aqua Terra or Moonwatch, or most of my other remaining 20mm watches (except my Luminox and Victorinox are 22mm).

post-905-0-35272000-1430267622_thumb.jpg

I think it's a really good looking watch.  I think that if the size is right, you should keep it.  

Oh, this one is the keeper.  I don't know why I even entertained the possibility of buying back the quartz and keeping both, however.  It's mainly that I can't resist a good bargain, and the AT quartz would have been something that I couldn't buy again at this price new with Omega warranty.  The Jared reward points are the key to the low buy-back price.

But, I don't know that it would have gotten any serious wrist time with the rest of my collection on hand.  It would basically become an very expensive gift for my son or brother later on, and I don't need to spend that $$ now.

I don't like a too small watch, and my vintage 35mm Seamaster DeVille is slightly smaller than what I would normally tolerate.  But it looks better if I wear it farther down on my wrist.  I used to wear a 36mm Rolex Oyster on bracelet for years without it feeling small.

So, I think the larger dial size and thinner bezel of the AT 8500 is a big factor.  On the wrist this 38.5mm AT 8500 feels and looks a little bigger than my Explorer II 16570, which I'm told is also 39mm.  You can see from the photo above that the fit is just right.  I see photos of others wearing the 41.5mm AT and it looks too big on them as well.  

So, I'm sure that the larger dial and smaller bezel on my AT make it look bigger than a 38.5mm most of the time.  For that same reason, the 41.5mm AT 8500 with it's big wide dial just feels huge on my wrist.  Meanwhile, my 42mm Planet Oceans or 43mm Seiko and Dive Masters and 42mm Explorer II with smaller dials and fatter rotating bezels look just as good on my wrist as my 39mm Explorer II and AT 8500, or 40mm Submariner and GMT II.

Bought my son a birth year watch from 1998, for either his 18th birthday in January or his graduation next year.  From a very reputable watch reseller for $1300, but it may need a service.

Fortunately it's Valjoux 7750 based, so I can get that done locally for less than half the cost of Omega service.  I will not be buying back that quartz Aqua Terra after-all.

post-905-0-45801400-1430334304_thumb.jpg

Nate will yell at me, but I'll be paying for both of these next week.  I've really been wanting a Ref 79180 Big Block Oysterdate Chrono, and finally found one in the US in good shape that was for a price I was willing to pay.  It needs two links added, and a little bit of polishing, but should otherwise be good to go, as it was serviced in the last couple years.  I got a great price on the SMP from Rick at piecesoftime.

vuhYaUWl.jpg

r0ddDeRl.jpg

That Tudor reminds me a little of the 1998 Speedmaster Date that I just bought for Ben's birth year watch, which arrives tomorrow.

I personally hope that I like it enough to keep me from still wanting that Pelagos (I wanted the Big Block Chrono more than the Pelagos, but I've been wanting a nice dive watch that wasn't a Submariner, for all that diving I do).

I think it would take me a good long while to go from bleeding after 5 minutes to being able to play 8-12 hours a day, every day, like I used to be able to.  Not that I need to be able to play 8-12 hours a day, every day, at this point.  I just have psychological trouble with doing things more poorly than I used to be able to.

I'm interested in seeing in person pictures of that watch, when you get it.  

And you actually have a 1998 Explorer II and ever want to do a partial trade, let me know. I know Ben would prefer that birth year watch over this !!

That is nice. I was wondering how much of an up charge those things could be on some watches. I went to the Rolex dealer next to the guitar shop I was visiting and they think the earliest they will see new Pelagos will be July.

Thanks!

Ah, so the internet rumors were correct after all.  I wonder if they are just making sure they have enough production to fulfill immediate demand, or if there are production issues.  I think Rolex ADs want something like $150 per link, for SS Oyster links.  I've gotten them used from reputable online dealers (and they seemed genuine, for both my 1675 GMT Master and the Explorer, which have different eras and types of Oyster bracelets) for $50-75 each.

I bought two spare links for an 80's Submariner for $115 shipped from Rick.  Will they fit a 2000 GMT II or 2005 Exp II if I ever find the need?  The later watches have the flip lock clasp, and the '83 Sub has the simple clasp.