New Portable USB DAC/Amp to preview at Maryland Meet

justin

i think those are good goals.

Agreed. It definitely sounds like it's going to be a great little product, especially considering it's size it should be a hit on the market. For myself though, I'd be more interested in the larger version with more options because now that I'm not tethered to one stationary spot I tend to move around the house when listening. My one gripe right now is my source is pretty much limited to an iPod but with the addition of something like what I was talking about I could use the amp/dac with the iPod alone (albeit losing the DAC option) or in my stereo rig or from my computer at home and work. It's maybe a crazy idea but it's nice to dream.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'll bring it to the Boston meet if it happens

Here are a couple of better pics, I've had a few questions about the size. Subway cards are the same size as credit cards

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

Back has USB and DC jack, inbetween the boards are the li-ion battery and a capacitor

if i can set up a damned Ohio meet, would you attend and bring it? what kind of price are you looking at, when they come out?

At the meet Justin mentioned the price will potentially be $500 for the amp/dac. He's also planning to offer just the amp and that would be $300. Of course these are subject to change ;)

PCM2707 performs USB to I2S conversion

AD1896 is the upsampling

WM8740 is the DAC

OPA365 are for the analog filter

TPS79333 and TPS73150 are the voltage regulators

MAX1896 steps up the DC voltage on the analog side

the headphone amp section isn't final yet

I love the fact that Justin's got nothing to hide (except the units from those of us that want to hear them :P)

I think it would have brought the funny big time if he'd posted the specs like this:

to simulate the use of red nail polish! ;D

editted to preserve justin's privacy :)

AD1896 is the upsampling

WM8740 is the DAC

OPA365 are for the analog filter

TPS79333 and TPS73150 are the voltage regulators

MAX1896 steps up the DC voltage on the analog side

the headphone amp section isn't final yet

Poll time...

The toggle switch on the front of the amp could do 1 of 3 things. I'd like to find out what is the most desirable

1) Gain switch (this is the current use)

2) Change the analog input into a DAC line output

3) This one is unlikely to win, but could be done....a voltage switch, giving a shorter or longer battery life depending on position.

theres no hiding from a particular x-ray machine anyway :P

If say plugged into the computer, would the power draw provided be enough to at least make a difference vs running all battery? Or does it not draw anything from the usb?

The DAC runs on USB power, and is filtered and regulated extensively. The headphone amp always runs on battery power. The power draw from the USB is 100mA (0.5W)

Poll time...

The toggle switch on the front of the amp could do 1 of 3 things. I'd like to find out what is the most desirable

1) Gain switch (this is the current use)

2) Change the analog input into a DAC line output

3) This one is unlikely to win, but could be done....a voltage switch, giving a shorter or longer battery life depending on position.

2 would be my choice. Or have a jumper internally for that :)