New Portable USB DAC/Amp to preview at Maryland Meet

justin

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think the faceplate looks great... I really like the style. But I have to be honest... That knob is... Ummmmm... Well, it doesn't do that amp justice to be sure. Ah hell, I'll say it.. The knob is ugly. Sorry. But the rest of it really does look fantastic.

I picked that style of knob because there are a lot of complaints with small portable amps about the difficulty in turning the volume knob when a cable is plugged in next to it. This kind of knob allows it to be gripped from the front, not just the sides, making it easier to turn

I picked that style of knob because there are a lot of complaints with small portable amps about the difficulty in turning the volume knob when a cable is plugged in next to it. This kind of knob allows it to be gripped from the front, not just the sides, making it easier to turn

i was going to say something about the knob as well, but I have to agree, when the amps are small, it gets tricky turning the volume knob sometimes

As a stylized mock-up that looks awesome, edwood is very talented. As an amp from HeadAmp I'm a little less enthusiastic, I'm not sure exactly what it is about it. The volume knob is definitely a turn-off for me, I would have much preferred to see a smaller version of same style as the AE-2. It's not just the volume knob though, there's something else I can't quite put my finger on, maybe it's that the screws look like they're sticking out? Or maybe it's that I prefer the aesthetics of the layout of the AE-2 with volume knob in the middle.

I notice that in this mock-up there's no actual HeadAmp markings, will that be on top of the amp or something like that?

elnero, the screws will be flush with the front panel, so that's something not accurate on the drawing

the HeadAmp logo will be on the back panel

Have you thought about doing the logo on the top at all? I remember seeing a custom amp you did awhile ago and I believe it had the logo and HeadAmp name on the top. It was maybe a bit large but something a bit smaller proportionally on the top of the Pico might look nice.