Covid Concerts

blessingx

In case this virus lasts a few more years, maybe time for a dedicated virtual concert thread? Besides the wonderful SFJAZZ Fridays at Five and SFOpera's weekend streaming, there's also an interesting Nick Cave show today. 

IDIOT PRAYER: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace 

NC-Idiot-Prayer-Static_1080x1080.png

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers to that!  I've been watching my favourite current band, Al1ce, who resume the second leg of their virtual tour next Wednesday.  Musically, they are so my thing (hard pop). 

Don't worry, I'm not so obsessed that I won't post other things, just had to get a plug in for them.  They've been hosting a bunch of other cool acts, too, over 75% of which were interesting to me enough that I bought their material on Bandcamp.

PS Thanks for the Nick Cave link -- love his stuff.  Definitely watching that.

Here's a review of last night.

"So this is where we are with live music: a man, a piano and a socially distanced film crew in a space that could feasibly house a commercial aircraft. Idiot Prayer: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace is technically a concert film, shot last month, though it is also a ticketed event that is being broadcast as if it were live. None of this is what we’re used to – there is no expectant crowd, no light show and not a Bad Seed in sight. Roaring your approval from a sofa clearly isn’t the same as being there. But if this is the gig of the future, Cave is the man to show us how it’s done." 

There was definitely a light show though. It may be because I always respected Cave more than liked him, but coupled with the times we're in, call this a transformative concert for me. I'm now a fan, though his lyrics can still inspire awe and cringing in the same song. He certainly walks the line (and into the light).   

Edited by blessingx

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 Classical Concerts to Stream in December

An exploration of Josephine Baker, an avant-garde trumpeter and the composer John Adams are among the highlights.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/arts/music/classical-music-stream-december.html?referringSource=articleShare 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The San Francisco Symphony’s “Deck the Hall” Convert will be broadcast today and will be available free online for anyone wanting to get in the spirit. 

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Watch-and-listen/Events/Deck-the-Hall 

The orchestra’s annual “Deck the Hall” concert has been downsized to 16 instrumentalists (and one accordionist), 12 choristers (plus the San Francisco Boys Choir), and no live audience members. Conducted by Daniel Stewart, hosted by Daniel Bartholomew-Poyser, and narrated by Raj Mathai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FREE SFJAZZ High School All-Stars Big Band & Combo Winter Concert at 5pm PT/8pm ET today. 

Comprised of two ensembles - the Big Band, led by Paul Contos, and the Combo, led by Dann Zinn - the SFJAZZ High School All-Stars is pre-professional training program for current Bay Area high school age jazz musicians. In a typical year, the All-Stars rehearse and perform throughout the school year at the SFJAZZ Center, receive mentorship and clinics with leading jazz professionals, record a studio album, and appear at music festivals and competitions. This year however, the All-Stars have rehearsed in distanced sections or via video conferencing in order to keep all members safe and healthy. This virtual performance is the result of individual members working at the Center, at home, and online to create this beautiful musical collage.

SETLIST
"Pistachio" (comp. Drew Zaremba)
"Imagine My Frustration" (comp. Billy Strayhorn, Gerald Wilson; arr. John Clayton)
"Castle" (comp. Aidan Pratte)
"Sleep With the Sun, Wake With the Moon" (comp. Daiki Nakajima)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If anyone wants to watch the first COVID concert of this thread, Nick Cave's Idiot Prayer, see below. I still think out of all the concerts I saw, and I saw more in 2020 than any previous year, it best encapsulates the lockdown virtual concert experience.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Heather (my partner) and I are seeing Cowboy Junkies in an intimate space in October, here I’m Cinci. 

I know the one album: Jim sent it to me during one of the gift exchanges. But what should I listen to other than that?

We are both fully, fully vaxxed and we will be wearing good masks. 

I dunno if this is the right thread. 

You are one seriously lucky guy. Cowboy Junkies would be right there on my list of must sees when and if they ever make it back across the pond.

But like you, my main experience is with Trinity Sessions.

In their current tour they are seemingly doing USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia (whole chunks of which are in hard lockdown at present). But not Europe.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

13 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Heather (my partner) and I are seeing Cowboy Junkies in an intimate space in October, here I’m Cinci. 

I know the one album: Jim sent it to me during one of the gift exchanges. But what should I listen to other than that?

We are both fully, fully vaxxed and we will be wearing good masks. 

I dunno if this is the right thread. 

I can’t remember what I sent but I assume it was The Trinity Sessions; if not then that is number one followed by “The Caution Horses”, “Pale Sun, Crescent Moon”, “At The End of Paths Taken” and “Renmin Park”. That gives a nice slice from the late 80’s to the mid-teens.