Keep your Wine in Line

Sherwood

Friends and Mentors,

I recently moved overseas to Moldova, a country where 70% of the population is economically dependent in some way on the wine industry.  The wines themselves are not very well known internationally, but their primacy in their own country means that wine is consumed at virtually every meal and imported wine is essentially nonexistent.  Domestic wine is both a huge business and a central part of culture here. 

One perk of my housing here is a 1000-bottle subterranean wine cellar, which currently sits empty.  I am not well-versed in wine, but considering all the above and an average price of $6 a bottle on the local economy now seems like the perfect time to learn.

I've known you all to be fine ladies and gentlemen, and I'm in need of some advice.  Do any of you have suggestions on apps I should be using, things I should be trying, or traditions I should be observing while I attempt to educate myself and fill this thing up?

Edited by Sherwood
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Sherwood said:

I've known you all to be fine ladies and gentlemen, and I'm in need of some advice.  Do any of you have suggestions on apps I should be using, things I should be trying, or traditions I should be observing while I attempt to educate myself and fill this thing up?

Tyler,

First off, I am a firm believer in "drink what you like". Rather than recommend wines and wineries you should try because "experts say so" I would just explore everything and everywhere, find what you like, then buy shit tons of it to store and share.

Do you like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or white varietals? If you don't have a strong preference then just hit up the popular wineries, try their selection of wines then go from there seeking out the same varietals. You could start with Milestii Miici, then Et Cetera and Castel Mimi. Sometimes the restaurant staff can be a great source of leads to small family wineries producing under the radar gems. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

^ what Greg said. The best way to learn about wine is to go out and try it. I know we are in the COVID days, but there is no substitute from wine tasting. In person, at the vineyard or winery is the best.

It is worth even trying the cheap stuff to give yourself frame of reference. You honestly will not know what you like a priori, you have to go out and experience it.

Price does matter. A lot of the price is directly tied to the production costs. More expensive wines do receive more TLC than cheaper ones, often a lot more. Whether the quality difference is worth paying for is something you can only say with experience.

Get out there, try stuff, share tasting notes with us, you HC crew! Cheers!

4F97FDF5-89E6-4C2C-9C3D-2546998E4884.thumb.jpeg.23959fbe6d03220566df08cb169adcaf.jpeg

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Augsburger said:

First off, I am a firm believer in "drink what you like". Rather than recommend wines and wineries you should try because "experts say so"

My dad was famous for always preferring the cheapest wine offered, even in blind taste tests. Saved him a lot of money over the years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Augsburger said:

I hope this helps. 

It’s fantastic, Greg, thank you. I got a case of Moldova-specific varietals like Rara Neagra delivered last night and started loading up the cellar. I also grabbed the “delectable” app to start keeping track of what I’ve tried. 

• Like 2