RSM717 Voltage change

vitop

Hello

I am pretty new here and am seeing some really impressive knowledge on this site. I looked but did not find anything on changing the voltage from 100 to 117 on an RSM717. I saw a post on the 727 which someone also said was similar. It looked like on that, the leads were cut from the transformer and that did not look like fun to do. 

I can measure resistance, voltage, etc, but don't have the expertise to do what some of you guys can do. If there are step by step instruction (esp with photos) I can do it. I don't see a lot of posts that are dumbed down to that level though. I also was wondering if there are any mods to be made on a 727 that would make it a better amp. 

I actually was thinking about trying to change a PRO jack to a standard jack on this so I could have one for the old headphones and one for the new ones, but have no idea how to do that either, lol. 

A warning. The voltages inside an E/S headphone amp can kill you stone dead. If you don't have experience frigging around with something of this complexity and lethality - don't. And if you get something wrong and kill any of the silicon it will spoil your day. I have not found the schematic for this, but I'm betting that many devices in there are now obsolete.

Proceed at your own peril.

11 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-727-voltage-conversion-100-to-117-help.679447/

Just noticed that link was for a 727, and yours is a 717. They are very different beasts.

Are they? That was the only one I found also. I was going to try and follow it but wasn't sure they were the same

Thanks for the response

11 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

A warning. The voltages inside an E/S headphone amp can kill you stone dead. If you don't have experience frigging around with something of this complexity and lethality - don't. And if you get something wrong and kill any of the silicon it will spoil your day. I have not found the schematic for this, but I'm betting that many devices in there are now obsolete.

Proceed at your own peril.

Thanks. I wonder if anyone on the forum has the expertise to do it

17 hours ago, padam said:

It depends, if it has the jumper block on the inside, then you don't need to do any soldering at all to switch the voltage, you just need to move that to the right place, and it's done.

Padam,

some 717s have a jumper block on the inside?

Now that would be nice! I'm supposed to get it today so I'll look

Thanks for the response

• 6 months later...

Jumping in here, (just registered, so HI-)...) I also have a SRM717 w Japanese 100v and I blew it on a cheap Chinese transformer smartypants me. I was planning to run it on US currency stepped down from European, but that isnt a good idea, or? It did work with another stepdown transformer, but that one made noise so..... I am anyways broke and my KGSSHV by Spritzer's Hephaestian Hammer Services arrives tomorrow (hopefully), but I'd like to fix that dear old thing dont I? Either to have or to sell. Any suggestion would be welcome

Edited by Craylock
forgot to mention 100v version