K701s

tiberian

Whether or not you will like the 701s depends on what you are looking for. If you want as close to neutral and an even tonal balance than you'll enjoy the 701s a lot. Otherwise you might not like them.

i don't really judge equipments like that anymore...i just follow my instinct, i can usually tell if i like a piece of gear or not in the first hour of serious listening or so. of course most of the time it takes less than that (like lavry vs apogee). i am not saying i like a heavily sauced up sound - for example, i hate grados because they tend to impose strong sonic signatures on the music and distract me to no end. sure the hd 650s aint neutral in anyway, but they are different than the grados to my ears that they don't sound all over the place while being colored.

so far the k701s are quite a bit less tranparent (less 'air' and inner texture in the sound) and engaging than my crazy hd 650s. i know its not a fair match, but i don't need 2 pair of main headphones so unless the k701s magically transform into a total different level they have to go in 30 days... i really want to check out a pair of rewired/balanced k701s before making my final judgement...GE are you going to chicago?

i don't really judge equipments like that anymore...i just follow my instinct, i can usually tell if i like a piece of gear or not in the first hour of serious listening or so. of course most of the time it takes less than that (like lavry vs apogee).

so far the k701s are quite a bit less tranparent (less 'air' and inner texture in the sound) and engaging than my crazy hd 650s. i know its not a fair match, but i don't need 2 pair of main headphones so unless the k701s magically transform into a total different level they have to go in 30 days... i really want to check out a pair of rewired/balanced k701s before making my final judgement...GE are you going to chicago?

Not looking like it... I have a mid term that Monday...

umm they sound nice but not to the level of blowing my mind, umm and i waited for a month and a half for them? a lil bit disappointing if you ask me...

hehe, that's sort of how I felt when I heard them too. of course I didn't buy them and the waiting was for the Saratoga meet to occur, but wait I did.

but then the cans cost less than most of the ones I have, so I wasn't expecting anything overly impressive. :P

hehe, that's sort of how I felt when I heard them too. of course I didn't buy them and the waiting was for the Saratoga meet to occur, but wait I did.

but then the cans cost less than most of the ones I have, so I wasn't expecting anything overly impressive. :P

just got my furutech cardas senn cable back from GE, heh now the 650s really sound like the 701s. the k701s will surely go back to todd in 2 weeks or so.

I would stress giving it some more time before you completely write it off. Though the sound will only marginally change I do think your ears need to get used to the k701 sound! Though coming from 650s, I would imagine things sounding less pleasing. Also, i'm sure theres alot that the 650s do that the k701 can't match. (can't wait for my pair)

I would stress giving it some more time before you completely write it off. Though the sound will only marginally change I do think your ears need to get used to the k701 sound! Though coming from 650s, I would imagine things sounding less pleasing. Also, i'm sure theres alot that the 650s do that the k701 can't match. (can't wait for my pair)

there is nothing wrong with them, seriously. its just that i don't need an extra pair of home phones sitting around.

I evaluated them every which way possible and here's my conclusion.

Even though they are rated a 5 htz, the lows are rolled off (no subsonics). The highs do not hold on for very long...they fall off quickly.

However, compared to everything else in it's price range, the detail is amazing. They are a bit dark and neutral (like the O2's) but man, they have layers of detail that aren't heard in the Senn 600/650 and Beyer 880's.

The white is a "either love them or hate them" situation for most people. I max out the headband, so they are a little bit uncomfortable for long term wear, but I am the only one that feels that way, in my conversations with other users (then again...the K1000's cause me migraines, too and don't bother most other people).

mine have deep purple heart woodies and driven directly from the xlr out of my lavry...i guess the woodies change the sound by a lot.

One of these days, maybe I'll get to hear them, but I've never heard them. I'd be curious how it could increase resolution, though (not entirely skeptical -- I could see how having a more solid foundation could improve the sound -- just curious as to the 'how').

tiberian - Having owned the 701's for a few months now and being a Grado fan, I can understand how you feel about their highs and lows. Having modded my Grados and getting a sense of how deep one can 'go into' the basses and the highs, I can see your point. I'd agree 100% w/ Xand1X though... give them some time. You may find that you'll want to keep both cans in the end (unless you don't care to 'go into' the mids that much) - I usually use my 701's for classical and pop (phil collins, elton john type pop) music where the Grado's are reserved for lounge jazz and rock. my 2c...

How do they sound in comparison to the AKG K271S with Zu Mobius cable? I really like the AKG house sound (and the Sennheiser sound at that), so I'm wondering if the K701's will fit the bill or not. I had to end up selling my HD650's a while back due to college funds, but I ended up keeping the K271S's. I may go for a Stax setup too.....

How do they sound in comparison to the AKG K271S with Zu Mobius cable? I really like the AKG house sound (and the Sennheiser sound at that), so I'm wondering if the K701's will fit the bill or not. I had to end up selling my HD650's a while back due to college funds, but I ended up keeping the K271S's. I may go for a Stax setup too.....

they umm can't quite touch the k701s. but the k271s are closed and not terribly hard to drive, i have some other uses for them.