When do you consider an amp "high end"

postjack

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh bullshit. Here, let me help you out by quoting your entire post, in context.

So how would you like to explain the bolded parts in your own post? Let me guess, "that's not what I meant, what I really meant was..." ::)

So I guess you failed to point out the part where I said "I personally could care less what it's classified as..." before the bold in the last sentance. I guess you also failed to read that I DID buy an amp that was aesthetically plain, and all performance, and was a DIY design to boot. Nice. I like people that only read what they want to read. ::)

Point I was making with that last portion of the post you bolded is, regardless of HOW little you show it, you like to have aesthetically nice looking things, even if it DOES play #2, 3, 4 or 908763249875639876 to sound quality(or whatever it pertains to). If you didn't like nice looking things, and cared STRICTLY on performance or practicality in everything, you'de have a really ugly wife with an awesome personality and ride a bicycle to work cause it's the best for the environment, keeps you in shape, has the cheapest maintenance and you don't have to worry about rising gas prices.

Hey look, I can be a fecetious fuck too ::)

/end crap

So in other words, by your definition, anything made by an individual can't be high end, regardless of how it looks or how it performs. Got it. You're a blowhard windbag. The rest of us will continue to discuss things using definitions we prefer. Because in the end, sound is what matters. Not what you want to brag to your friends about. Because honestly, I don't tell people what I spend on audio gear, not because they won't appreciate it, but because my finances are my business. And everyone who's ever listened to my gear, be it the ugly ass mpx3 toaster I used to have (commercial product, ugly ass, high end), or the great looking and sounding tooleaudio balanced mosfet amplifier (built by colin, so effectively DIY, m3, certainly noncommercial, high end), or my veda audio dynahi...and with my hp1s, rs1s, hhf1s (diyish again), ps3000s (again, diyish), or grado 225s...they've always been nothing less than blown away. Because of how it looks? No, because it sounds better than they'd experienced before. High end in my book is synonymous with "a darn sight better than the typical person will ever experience". And I could care less if any of it ever had a brand name or bling to make other people approve.

So I guess you failed to point out the part where I said "I personally could care less what it's classified as..." before the bold in the last sentance. I guess you also failed to read that I DID buy an amp that was aesthetically plain, and all performance, and was a DIY design to boot. Nice. I like people that only read what they want to read. ::)

Point I was making with that last portion of the post you bolded is, regardless of HOW little you show it, you like to have aesthetically nice looking things, even if it DOES play #2, 3, 4 or 908763249875639876 to sound quality(or whatever it pertains to). If you didn't like nice looking things, and cared STRICTLY on performance or practicality in everything, you'de have a really ugly wife with an awesome personality and ride a bicycle to work cause it's the best for the environment, keeps you in shape, has the cheapest maintenance and you don't have to worry about rising gas prices.

Hey look, I can be a fecetious fuck too ::)

/end crap

Thanks to the thoughtful discussion in this post, I have found an answer to my original question.

I consider an amp high end when it isn't some DIY trash, complete with crappy flimsy aluminum case and raggedy P2P wiring, with random small fires breaking out in the shitty power source, and RCA connections that spin like tops when you flick them, and to top it all off the DIY'er charges you more than cost of parts, probably to pay for the xanax script he needs to enhance his daily dose of methadone from the clinic. >:(

Thanks to the thoughtful discussion in this post, I have found an answer to my original question.

I consider an amp high end when it isn't some DIY trash, complete with crappy flimsy aluminum case and raggedy P2P wiring, with random small fires breaking out in the shitty power source, and RCA connections that spin like tops when you flick them, and to top it all off the DIY'er charges you more than cost of parts, probably to pay for the xanax script he needs to enhance his daily dose of methadone from the clinic. >:(

Some of us just roll tha chronic y'all