postjack

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does look awesome. What is it, btw?

It's a custom Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD. Mark took the basic component set, tweaked it, threw out the whole power supply section and designed his own tube rectified supply and then designed the chassis. The chassis, a friggen work of art, is all him, the wood work, the trafos potted in polished old film containers, etc. I guess he had the plate fabricated but he did the cad layout drawings for it. And you should see the wiring, it's just unbelievable. Mark (Voodoo) is one of those people that sets the bar so high for the rest of us all we can do is look at it and go, "man, my stuff looks like crap."

Why can't he have a bunch of amps at different price levels?

I agree completely....and...

EdipisReks is completely right I don't know what "high-roller" means around here. I just thought that I would play-along and dump on this as it seems like everyone else does around here. My quick take on what I have read is that civility is at a minimum here and this was an appropriate behavior. If I am wrong I apologize. I think EdipisReks demonstrates in his last post a bit of what I was saying.

the bottom of high-end is somewhere above whatever you own. doesn't matter what you own. that's usually how hobbies work.

Now I better understand why everyone disses even their own very/ultra high-end stuff around here. This is a common anxiety around here. Being satisfied with equipment is not what is appropriate. I learn for myself a long time ago that this can become a personal "death spiral" where no matter what the circumstances whether in a hobbie or something in my personal life can lead to a crash. Life if full of compromises and learning to be satisfied is one of those little compromises; otherwise, watch out below. I guess this is one of the reasons for the forum title "Head-Case."

Now I better understand why everyone disses even their own very/ultra high-end stuff around here. This is a common anxiety around here. Being satisfied with equipment is not what is appropriate. I learn for myself a long time ago that this can become a personal "death spiral" where no matter what the circumstances whether in a hobbie or something in my personal life can lead to a crash. Life if full of compromises and learning to be satisfied is one of those little compromises; otherwise, watch out below. I guess this is one of the reasons for the forum title "Head-Case."

You don't have to take it as a personal insult when we say your amp isn't "high end". You are not your gear.

Newbies to the HC culture tend to feel very threatened by the rather frank discussion, and as a result they lash out. This lashing out is unnecessary, we can skip this step. Or you can leave. :)