When do you consider an amp "high end"

postjack

You don't have to take it as a personal insult when we say your amp isn't "high end". You are not your gear.

Newbies to the HC culture tend to feel very threatened by the rather frank discussion, and as a result they lash out. This lashing out is unnecessary, we can skip this step. Or you can leave. :)

I have learn that there is no "high-end" here so how can I be offended or threatened? The question posited by the OP (you) has found it's answer in EdipisReks post above.

By the way "frank discussion" and "lashing out" are sometimes in the mind of the reader.

"doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you enjoy the MUSIC no" amen....learning to be satisfied is a path toward contentment.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you enjoy the amp, that is the most important. However if you are comparing amps, then accurate classification is very important :)

That said I do not agree that there is "no high end" there are clearly some very high end amps and other components. However for some stuff where they classify is challenged.

"doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you enjoy the MUSIC no" amen....learning to be satisfied is a path toward contentment.

Nah, this is an audiophile cop out. Hate to say it, but if it was "all about the music" we wouldn't need HC, or HF, or AA, or sh.tv (the gear section anyway). I am insanely passionate about music, as any of my friends (online or IRL) will tell you, but I also absolutely love gear, and love talking about gear.

I believe Reks' comment to be slightly sarcastic, but in any humorous comment lies a piece of the truth. ;)

By "lashing out", I mean people feel the need to attack "the headcase thing" when they find they and their gear aren't embraced with open arms.

nate: :kitty: what did i say?

well i just wanted to say that ive heard the yamamoto and i thought it was pretty good in reproducing music! there are flaws make no mistake. high end or mid end. the yamamoto holds its end.

so maybe slwiser was kinda wrong in asking why icarium owns one if he doesnt second its high end.

he must like something about it even though its mid end and still hold on to it.

comparing gears aside (i do love talking about gear too)at the end of the day i believe listening to music (and gear) is something you should enjoy regardless of if you have high end gear or not?

I enjoy music out of cheap computer speakers but the chase of high fidelity is about getting closer to the music and not listening to some pre set parameters.

The high end is certainly obtainable but it's never cheap and those that believe that you can get it cheaply are kidding them selfs. You can come close but the devil is in the details and they cost a fortune to reveal. If you can't handle that buy a RSA amp, some FOTM headphones and leave us alone.

I don't think it's necessarily right say we will never be satisfied. I think it's more accurate to say that there's a limit to how much effort we're willing to spend and at that limit (whether it's time, money or whatever motivated), we say "this is damn good and I'm going to stop acquiring/pursuing gear".

I don't think it's necessarily right say we will never be satisfied. I think it's more accurate to say that there's a limit to how much effort we're willing to spend and at that limit (whether it's time, money or whatever motivated), we say "this is damn good and I'm going to stop acquiring/pursuing gear".

Where can I pick up one of these limits? I seem to have lost mine. ;)

Hi YJ

I have not heard the Yamamoto, would you be able to describe what you feel the flaws are?

Thanks

USG

The critical analysis around here is not about what something is but what it is not. So the flaws would have to be what it may not have rather than any obvious flaws in what it does.

None of the following are flaws in my book but in the spirit of Head-Case:

One flaw is that it is not an electrostatic amp.

Another flaw is that it is not balanced. But can become one with a second unit but we will not go there ....

One flaw is that it does not have a Plitron Torodial Transformer.

Another flaw is that it does not cost five figures or four for that matter.

Another flaw is that is cost too much.

Another flaw is that its depth to width ratio is backwards.

Another flaw is that the volume knob is not a gold color or a stepped antenuator.

Another flaw is that it does not have two headphone outs.

Another flaw is that it's speaker power is less than flea power; therefore, it will not power 82 dB/W speakers.

Another flaw is that it should weight a lot more than it does.

It could be in a bigger box that is not so pretty.

Another flaw is that it is not opamp driven.

It is a mismatch for the K1000 since it is not truly a power amp.

It may also be a mismatch for the K340 because of the same issue.

and many others.......

But it does have the "Pilot Lump" thing going for it.

Oh, Well....Enjoy...it is my best amp though and I don't pretend nor fool myself into thinking that it is the absolute best amp out.

Wait slwiser...........

.... what in the world are you talking about?

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about. I looked at every single one of those points and none of them are flaws.

... are you okay? ???

I haven't seen you act so... I don't even know what to say.

The critical analysis around here is not about what something is but what it is not. So the flaws would have to be what it may not have rather than any obvious flaws in what it does.

None of the following are flaws in my book but in the spirit of Head-Case:

One flaw is that it is not an electrostatic amp.

Another flaw is that it is not balanced. But can become one with a second unit but we will not go there ....

One flaw is that it does not have a Plitron Torodial Transformer.

Another flaw is that it does not cost five figures or four for that matter.

Another flaw is that is cost too much.

Another flaw is that its depth to width ratio is backwards.

Another flaw is that the volume knob is not a gold color or a stepped antenuator.

Another flaw is that it does not have two headphone outs.

Another flaw is that it's speaker power is less than flea power; therefore, it will not power 82 dB/W speakers.

Another flaw is that it should weight a lot more than it does.

It could be in a bigger box that is not so pretty.

Another flaw is that it is not opamp driven.

It is a mismatch for the K1000 since it is not truly a power amp.

It may also be a mismatch for the K340 because of the same issue.

and many others.......

But it does have the "Pilot Lump" thing going for it.

Oh, Well....Enjoy...it is my best amp though and I don't pretend nor fool myself into thinking that it is the absolute best amp out.

Wait slwiser...........

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about. I looked at every single one of those points and none of them are flaws.

... are you okay? ???

I was attempting a little "sarcasm" I thought. Maybe not. I guess I may have Head-Case sarcasm wrong?

Wait slwiser...........

... are you okay? ???

I think he was being facetious.

I've heard agile_one's Yammy a couple times, and like it quite a bit, though it seems to be pickier with headphones than some amps. I really liked it with the W2002, and I'm not a big AT fan (sorry, Nanoha).

I consider my gear high mid-fi, and that's fine with me. Prior to my current set up, I really felt a lacking when I listened to music and it bugged me, but now, although I've certainly heard better, I don't think about it at all when listening. I just enjoy. Maybe one day I might get the upgrade bug, but other than a few minor tweaks, my headphone rig(s), at least, are fine with me.