When do you consider an amp "high end"

postjack

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really liked it with the W2002, and I'm not a big AT fan (sorry, Nanoha).

Even though I am part of the ATOWF, of the many Audio-Technicas I've heard, I've disliked all of them other than the VTG and JPN. (I have not heard the L3000.) All of the AXXX and ADXXX have been quite displeasing sound-wise to me. The AD2000 is decent, but I strongly prefer Senns (HD580/600/650) and AKG (K701). I also strongly dislike the current woodies (the W1000 is horrible, the W5000 does not fit my taste). I also disliked the W2002 with all of the amps I tried them with; I've been told that they're supposed to sound rather good with the HA2002 of course. The W100 is decent; Senns/AKG are still better for me.

So in the end, I'm not the AT fan people think I am. I'm just a VTG/JPN fan. :angel:

Hi, slwiser. A little belated, but welcome. :)

And yes of course, hi there slwiser. :)

Even though I am part of the ATOWF, of the many Audio-Technicas I've heard, I've disliked all of them other than the VTG and JPN. (I have not heard the L3000.) All of the AXXX and ADXXX have been quite displeasing sound-wise to me. The AD2000 is decent, but I strongly prefer Senns (HD580/600/650) and AKG (K701). I also strongly dislike the current woodies (the W1000 is horrible, the W5000 does not fit my taste). I also disliked the W2002 with all of the amps I tried them with; I've been told that they're supposed to sound rather good with the HA2002 of course. The W100 is decent; Senns/AKG are still better.

So in the end, I'm not the AT fan people think I am. I'm just a VTG/JPN fan. :angel:

Until I heard the 2002 with the matching amp, my feelings mirrored yours about them. I still like others more than them but with the HA2002 amp I heard them at a much higher level than any time before.

The L3000 has grown on me. At first I thought it was so-so but after alot of listening sessions with several amps I think it is upper echelon.

It too sounds very nice with its matching amp.

what he (slwiser) said >:D

the biggest flaw of this amp is it's inability to drive grados without the bass being completely flabby, I used this amp toi listen to some PS1s at the san jose national and I almost passed ion the buying the ps1s becuase of the flabby bass. It was not the headphone it was the amp. With the right headphone it's a great amp but it is entirely too picky

high output impedance?

HA-02 specifications: Only WE408A 2 tubes / Circuit system: Single stage amplification, pentode connection, and non-feedback system / Maximum output :300mW (at the time of 50ohm load) of headphone terminals,240mW (at the time of 8-ohm load) of speaker terminals/ Frequency characteristic:30-21,000Hz (headphone terminal) 45-17,000Hz (speaker terminal) / Gain : Headphone output power 9.5dB (at the time of 50-ohm load) Speaker output power: 1.5dB (at time of 8-ohm load) / Remains noise: 100 microvolts of headphone output power 70 microvolts of speaker output power

So I take it that this is not a "second." Why would you have such a piece of equipment anyway?

I use it in my office rig. The Yamamoto is a good value at its price and its definitely a fun little amp that does a lot of things well. But what differentiates it from being high end in my mind is that it cannot resolve as well or image/soundstage as well as some amps that cost more (It's better than some 4 figure amps sure, but if you average them I think they eek the Yamamoto out by quite a bit). It's also warmer than neutral, but again I like it for that as it is a fun sound.

^I think this is a very good short description of the Yamamoto HA-02. It is my best amp and I really enjoy it but I am not under any illusions about it being the best. Here are some of my impressions of the HA-02.

I do like the warmth that it brings to the music that I listen too, vocals and acoustics. I don't listen to musically distorted music. From my perspective this musical type needs an amp that is extremely detailed to resolve those distortions in some reasonable manner and the Yamamoto I don't believe is built for this type of music. I listen to mostly instrumental, classical, jazz, jazz vocals and choral music which to me is well served by my essentially three component system: computer transport, Lavry DA10, Yamamoto HA-02 and the Ultrasone Edition 9 (UE9). I have set an approximate limit on what I am willing to spend on any single component of about 1000$ and these do very well within that imposed limit.

I use the phase "reasonable manner" above because I am always at a loss as to just exactly how that music is supposed to sound since it's production is not based on actual sounds in the environment. In other words, the musically distorted musical tracks are completely created sounds made by the "artist." I can't tell how they are supposed to sound like to make a valid statement on this count.

As for soundstage I really can't compare the HA-02 with high-end units since I have never made a direct comparison. I have only made direct comparisons with the Berning micro-ZOTL and AT-HA5000 which never would be considered "high-end." But against these the HA-02 soundstage with my UE9s the HA-02 is precise maybe not the largest but truly precise. It's precision in image width, depth and detail (resolution in instrument placement) is what lead me to sell my HA5000 after having already sold my matching W5000 following a detailed comparison with my Ultrasone Edition 9.

I have directly compared my setup with a Cambridge 840A using a balanced CAudio DAC and amp setup with a balanced HD650 and HD580. In this setup the balanced system was very good but for myself I can't bring myself to say it was better in everything. Yes the balanced setup was slightly better in some things and clearly so on some tracks and clearly only equal on others. I came away very pleased with how my setup resolved things. The soundstage of the balanced system was clearly different, wider or maybe as I suggested before somewhere just looser (less precise) in sound placement giving an illusion of a bigger image. The instruments to me just seem to pop up out of the spacial fabric without enough precision to make me feel it was real. A good term for this is "surreal" sound image. I probably did not give this enough time to fully come to a conclusion concerning this in that comparison so this may be a bit harsh. Again I think neither of these setups would be considered "high end" around here.