What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Best thing I've eaten recently: an entire boletus edulis mushroom that I found recently while out collecting morels.

Also known as King Bolete, porcini (Italy), cepe (France) and probably some other names, boletus edulis (for those of you who aren't mushroom geeks) is probably the most highly prized edible mushroom in the world. They are not easy to find in good shape- various kinds of bugs, worms and wildlife think they are pretty great too. But we had an usually extended wet spring in Central Oregon and I managed to find about 5 very nice specimens on two separate outings in the last couple of weeks.

I had intended to just eat a little bit of it- fried in butter, garlic, salt and pepper, but in the end consumed the whole thing, in several batches of fried strips. I just couldn't stop. These are large mushrooms folks- the specimen I devoured was probably at least a pound; 6" high and probably 7" across the top of the cap. It was so incredibly delicious- almost like a great steak.

OK, OK so I had the munchies and it was about midnight, it was STILL really really tasty!

Best thing I've eaten recently: an entire boletus edulis mushroom that I found recently while out collecting morels.

Also known as King Bolete, porcini (Italy), cepe (France) and probably some other names, boletus edulis (for those of you who aren't mushroom geeks) is probably the most highly prized edible mushroom in the world. They are not easy to find in good shape- various kinds of bugs, worms and wildlife think they are pretty great too. But we had an usually extended wet spring in Central Oregon and I managed to find about 5 very nice specimens on two separate outings in the last couple of weeks.

I had intended to just eat a little bit of it- fried in butter, garlic, salt and pepper, but in the end consumed the whole thing, in several batches of fried strips. I just couldn't stop. These are large mushrooms folks- the specimen I devoured was probably at least a pound; 6" high and probably 7" across the top of the cap. It was so incredibly delicious- almost like a great steak.

OK, OK so I had the munchies and it was about midnight, it was STILL really really tasty!

I used to eat these a lot when I lived in Ukraine. Good stuff. Add a bit of fresh mushroom to a sour-cream sauce that goes with crepes, delicious.... :cool: