What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Had Montreal's famous "smoked beef" sandwich and poutine for lunch. I guess being a Jew from Boston (and with in-laws from NY area) I am spoiled. Basically it was corned beef, which my stepmom makes better! Never mind all the good deli's where I've had it....

Was still quite tasty, though, and the poutine was good to try....once.

Did you order "a point" (ah pwant) or something else?  If you want to make sure it is the medium side of medium rare, ask for "bien cuit" (bee-en kwee).

I meant to add that even saying "medium rare" is usually going to be understood, but as you see they tend to undercook.  Better than the opposite, of course.  

Edited by Voltron

The problem was that the waiter asked me, in English, "medium rare or medium?" and I responded "medium rare."  I wasn't sure if he would think that I was ordering an American version of medium rare or the French version.  I was with a friend of mine who is is French (we met up for dinner) and we were wondering what would they would bring out.  It was still good and I ate it like that but I woudn't call it medium rare (unless that means rare on the inside and medium on the outside ;)  ).   I certainly didn't want to say medium and actually get a (what American's consider) medium steak.  

Edited by shellylh