What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

leftover cacio e pepe.  I always use enough pepper that I can feel it in my joints, a couple hours later (I always double up on my heartburn meds, so that I don't also feel it in my esophagus).

21 hours ago, jvlgato said:

Big Green Egg Grilled dry aged strip, grilled asparagus, rosemary roasted potatoes.

My HC-like friend Alex.

That looks like a fuck load of fun, John!

Edited by EdipisReks1

So the guy next door has been on a major project. The previous owner has put in wooden decking and a fish pond, which I thought looked kind of nice. Current guy didn't like it, so he hired a company of knuckle draggers to take that out and put "something" in instead.

I need to take a photo of the edifice and post it. It is basically a built-in double barbecue. This is truly in the brutalist style - it is like an angular horseshoe that you can stand behind, but big enough that two or three can get behind there, and so seriously built could double as a nuclear shelter. One barbecue is I think gas powered (well, there was copper pipe going on at one point), and I think the other is charcoal. Where the decking was he has paved in off-white slabs, which are also on the top surface of the barbecue horseshoe.

The outfit he got to do all this started in October, and have just finished. I swear you could build a whole house in that time.

The problem is that this is in the UK - where it is cold and rainy more often than not. Last year we managed a total of three barbecues in our kettle because that was the only coincidence of (a) decent enough weather on the day (b) a weekend and (c) enough certainly of good weather to buy the meat. We planned to barbecue several more times, and ended up cooking inside on the hob.

So I have absolutely no idea why the guy has spent so much money on something that will hardly ever be used. I look forward to seeing it used in anger, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

When you consider the expense and bad weather, there's only one line of thought that makes total sense.

It's a front. It's not that he loves to B-B-Q, it's that he's a serial killer and needs a way to discretely get rid of the bodies. Whatever you do, don't share any meals with him! And don't make him angry. You should be safe though, because if he's smart enough to build a Body-B-Quashed B-B-Q, he's smart enough not to kill someone he could be connected to. On the other hand...

• Like 3

Wait a second; BBQing is weather dependent?  Back when I used to do such things, I once smoked a 10 pound Boston Butt when there was a foot of snow on the ground and it was below 0 (F, not C).  It made temperature regulation more difficult, especially when it started snowing again, but it was certainly doable, especially with a tarp strung up.  What happened to the stiff-upper-lip? :)

• Like 1