What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Christmas lunch. Butchered a duck. Legs off (cooked confit style for 3 1/2 hours at 85C under goose fat). Wings off. Breasts off. Used remaining carcass, wings, neck chopped up to make a stock. Cooked breasts classic style - skin side down in cold pan, then heat to crisp the skin and render the fat. Into the oven for 7 minutes skin side up to finish, and rest for 5 minutes. With roast vegetables and Amarone.

(In the Silence of the Lambs book, he eats his liver with some fava beans and an nice Amarone. When they moved to the film they reckoned not many people had heard of Amarone, so they changed it to Chianti.)

20171225_101046.jpg

20171225_101133.jpg

20171225_173512.jpg

• Like 8

I had a bacon double burger at All About Burger...sort of DC area's equivalent to In'n'Out.  It was okay.  I'm not a real fast food connoisseur, so I have no opinion on how it ranks against Five Guys, BurgerFi, &c., but it doesn't compare to my favourites -- Fuddruckers, Red Robin, &c.  But it is walking distance from work -- even without my walking shoes -- and was open, so ... I got that going for me.

On 1/17/2016 at 8:35 PM, n_maher said:

Here's the recipe - http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/.  I followed it pretty much verbatim.  The cook time, on high in my crock pot, was around 5hrs which seemed to track with the recommendations in the recipe and I can't think of anything that I'd really change.  Even using a smaller pork shoulder (~4lbs) there is a ton of of meat for leftovers, not that I'm complaining.  In the future there's a pork chilli that I'll be using this for, for sure.

In case anyone is curious - the taco construction is homemade guacamole in the bottom, then the pork, then homemade pico de gallo topped with a little cheese on top wrapped in a soft corn tortilla.  

Is this the recipe?