What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

Tofurky kielbasa, fresh aspargus tips sauted in olive oil, garlic and hot sauce over large couscous. Two clementines. Protein powder shake.

My new trainer doesn't want me eating so late, but then she wants me eating more calories and more protein. This is hard work. I can't eat this much since chips and guacamole aren't allowed. I'm still 300 calories and 50g of protein shy of what I'm supposed to have today, and I've eaten 6 meals. I guess I'll toss back a couple more shakes. I gotta figure this stuff out.

• 2 weeks later...

Tofurky kielbasa, fresh aspargus tips sauted in olive oil, garlic and hot sauce over large couscous. Two clementines. Protein powder shake.

Do you only have the powder in the shakes boomana? I found that throwing bananas, peanut butter, and the like always made the shakes taste better and added some more nutritional benefit.

I actually like just the powder shakes (vanilla). If I were using it as a meal replacement, I'd add some things, but since I'm not, I don't. Before I was put on this fairly strict, though in an opposite direction of what I'm used to (more food) diet, I'd make smoothies in the morning for breakfast with some powder, frozen berries and half a banana...yum.

The whole eating thing is really starting to become interesting to me. I've almost always had a healthy diet, and know a lot about nutrition being a pretty strict vegetarian, but as of today, my trainer up'ed my calories again to 1750, which is almost friggin impossible for me without moving into junk food territory, but her plan is working where mine was not. After slightly less than two weeks with her and her husband, my love handles and tummy are gone, my face is thinner, and that's just about it, but I'm impressed.

Right now I'm eating oatmeal with vanilla protein powder, cinnamon, and an apple.

I'm sure she's explained this to you already, but just in case she hasn't: The theory goes, if your body thinks it's not getting enough calories, then it stores them as fat. If you're on a high-calorie-burn regimen, then you need to eat more than (some threshold) before you'll lose weight. It's leftover from our hunt-and-gathering days -- there were times as cavemen that we wouldn't eat for days, so our body would store up the food as fat, rather than shit it out, whereas if you're always consuming enough calories to compensate for what you burn, your body will eventually figure it out and expunge the rest.

I did know that, but having extra weight was never even close to an issue until a couple years ago so I never paid much attention, ate well, worked out, rode my bike a lot, never worried about a thing, and then.... :P At first, I liked carrying some padding, and still do (I do not want to be skinny), but as my metabolism's shifted with age and a more sedentary lifestyle, I have to relearn everything.

Sorry about blabbing on in this thread, but I'm really very excited about learning and changing things up again, but this time, to suit my age. I know far too many women in their 40s and 50s who are too busy trying to be young, and then fail miserably at being healthy (since they're obsessed with something they no longer are) and are definitely not happy with themselves. I plan on growing old gracefully. I just need to learn what that really means and since it's all new, it's fun.

I was going to go into work to day for some OT, but it turns out they don't need me, which is great. I have a stack of recipe books next to me now, and I'm going to design a damn tasty 1750 cal (proper ratios etc) daily meal plan for the next few weeks.