What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

On 8/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, grawk said:

nandos

BCF6C330-993E-472B-845E-CE4665166114.jpeg

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

Had to Google that.

No, you didn't.  Dan just had Nando's.

Pretty simple:  slather a chicken breast or thigh or leg or whatever in Nando's Double Exxtra Hot sauce, toss in oven (on foil, uncovered), set to 425, wait 13:33, turn oven off, wait 3:33 -- prestochango, homemade Nando's.  (Times and temperatures may change depending on bone-in &c.)

Would probably come out even better if you put it on a grill, like they do.  Maybe even a rotisserie.

Used their Garlic sauce for dipping, because I love garlic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Pretty simple....

I've tried every permutation for trying to make Nando's at home, and it's never quite the same. I'm certain the marinade they use before cooking has something in it that isn't in the basting sauce. And it definitely needs some char to it on the grill.

If you are just doing Nando's sauce at home, it works amazingly well with pork chops. Rib chops in particular. Marinade in the sauce for an hour to a day, then onto the grill, basting with more sauce as it cooks. Outside, so you don't burn your face off and stink out your house with the chilli fumes.

Shit, I just ate dinner, but now I'm hungry again. And no Nando's for 500 miles.

Edited by Beefy

20 hours ago, Beefy said:

I've tried every permutation for trying to make Nando's at home, and it's never quite the same. I'm certain the marinade they use before cooking has something in it that isn't in the basting sauce. And it definitely needs some char to it on the grill.

Completely agree that it's never quite the same, but in my case, I don't care -- I love chicken, I love Nando's sauce, so it's still better than just about anything else I'll make, and it's super easy.

I agree that part of it is the char that they get with the open grill, as mine has zero char, baking in an oven.  

Not sure about the difference in recipes -- I think they just have the whole "time to marinate"/"time to grill" thing down to perfection, which I don't by a long shot.  When I did what I described above, it came out...fine.  I'm not a magician with chicken, that my chicken comes out perfectly moist, perfectly done -- but no more! -- &c., but it was good enough, and not chewy or rubbery.  But that's why I still occasionally eat out -- to reset my palate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beefy said:

*sigh* Back in Aus, I used to live a 5 minute walk away from a Nando's.

(and you should definitely try it as a marinade for pork!)

Yeah, mine's a 5 minute drive or an hour's walk (2.3 miles away).  In fact, I think I'll go get some now.

And yes, I saw that earlier, didn't respond externally, but will definitely give it a try!

• Like 1

A taquito from McDonald's. Before you judge me, I really don't like McDonald's, and the taquito is just passable at best. The real reason I've guiltily started visiting Micky D's is their new sugar free, vanilla iced coffee. It's pretty damned good, and it's $2 for a large. Don't judge me Dan, I'm really not a coffee drinker!

Edited by swt61