What are you EATING right now?

JBLoudG20

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

More home-made Nando's chicken breast -- tried baking this time, 22:22 at 350, worked out alright!  👍

Didn't pre-marinade it at all, I should probably try pre-marinading it next.

Got some thighs, too.

Good call, the stronger flavor of the thigh gets closer to the real thing.

I have a whole chicken in the fridge, and tomorrow looks ripe to fire up the pellet grill. I think an overnight marinade is in order.....

• Like 1

It was one of those hot summer days, when too much grilled chicken is never enough. Bird on the left is just a dry rub for the little one who won't eat spicy food. Bird on the right was marinated in medium Nando's sauce overnight. All cooked at 390F for about an hour in the pellet grill, with lots of basting in more Nando's sauce during cooking.

It was damn delicious. But it was still not quite Nando's.

Chicken.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, Beefy said:

If you are just doing Nando's sauce at home, it works amazingly well with pork chops.

Pork chops obtained, will be trying them today or tomorrow.

By the way, it's definitely the marinade -- I tried marinating a breast for 22:22 beforehand, then 16:66 at 400, and it came out perfect -- nothing at all like the restaurant, but the chicken was moist and perfectly done.

I can definitely live with the medium heat.  I can still taste it, so I'll be purchasing one of those liter bottles next time I place an order with Amazon.  I still use the garlic as a condiment because their garlic sauce is easily my favourite, though I might doctor it with the bottle of hot I have.  I also tried the lemon & herb -- I basically love all their flavours.

It's definitely not the same as the restaurant, though, but I don't miss that char any more.  I've gone through a family pack of chicken breasts all week, so I'm used to the baked/roasted (400 == baked or roasted?) "pristine-ness".

I'm almost tempted to try them on my fish tails next.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Pork chops obtained, will be trying them today or tomorrow.

By the way, it's definitely the marinade -- I tried marinating a breast for 22:22 beforehand, then 16:66 at 400, and it came out perfect -- nothing at all like the restaurant, but the chicken was moist and perfectly done.

I can definitely live with the medium heat.  I can still taste it, so I'll be purchasing one of those liter bottles next time I place an order with Amazon.  I still use the garlic as a condiment because their garlic sauce is easily my favourite, though I might doctor it with the bottle of hot I have.  I also tried the lemon & herb -- I basically love all their flavours.

It's definitely not the same as the restaurant, though, but I don't miss that char any more.  I've gone through a family pack of chicken breasts all week, so I'm used to the baked/roasted (400 == baked or roasted?) "pristine-ness".

I'm almost tempted to try them on my fish tails next.

Sounds great!

Not sure about the fish though, I've had baaaaaaad experiences with people trying to marinate fish 🤢

41 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Unless they're marinated in water. That seems somewhat intuitive. Salt or fresh, dependent upon species.

That's not just a smartass remark, although it is that too, but I've had great experiences with brined fish.

Fair call. Squid kept or soaked in sea water is much tastier and more tender.

14 hours ago, Beefy said:

Not sure about the fish though, I've had baaaaaaad experiences with people trying to marinate fish 🤢

I've been marinating fish to great effect -- but with a marinade that's made for fish, so still going to be careful with the Nando's.

(Ashman House make a whole line of them -- the Chipotle Lime and Citrus Wasabi are my favourites, but I've been trying to eat less spicy foods, so have been slowly going through the others -- the Lemon Dill is fantastic:

https://ashmanco.com/retail-store/house-seafood-marinades-sauce/

...)