Post what you're watching

deepak

Both Eurovision 2010 Semi finals.

It'll be interesting to see who is hosting on the BBC. It used to be a bit of a national treasure called Terry Wogan, who was a lifelong radio DJ and presenter. He took Eurovision with a large dose of salt, and a large bottle of Scotch, getting progressively pissed during the evening. He retired a couple of years ago, and kind of took the fun out of it for me.

^

This Saturday night, Norton, 47, will commentate on Eurovision for BBC One for a second time, having replaced Terry Wogan last year. This was a challenge, as Wogan had had the job for 28 years, but Norton did well: like Wogan, he has a knack for the sardonic yet affectionate quip. He wasn’t nervous till he sat in the commentary booth: “I thought, ‘Oh God – this could be a disaster.’ But it seemed to go without incident and people were quite favourable. So hopefully they won’t be appalled this year either.”

Graham Norton: ‘Susan Boyle should be our Eurovision entrant’ - Telegraph

This Saturday night, Norton, 47, will commentate on Eurovision for BBC One for a second time

OK - I can see that working well. I watched it last year with Norton and it was pretty good. As good as the Eurovision Song Contest can be that is. It is all a stitch up of course - nothing whatever to do with how good the songs are (or mainly aren't).

I was listening to an interview with a guy who had made a bunch of money betting on the result. He looked at the statistics of voting - and the way that one country always voted for another because of geopolitical alliances (eg latvia always gave 10 votes to lithuania etc). He's so far got it on the nail three times and second place twice. So nothing to do with the songs at all.

I admit that I haven't read the books yet but plan to at some point. I love David Suchet as Poirot.

Heard Suchet on the radio recently. He actually has a deep bass voice, and explained (and then demonstrated) how he moves from chest voice to head voice to interpret Poirot's character. He did this gradually as he explained it, with his voice getting progressively higher, and then taking on the French/Belgian accent. A real masterclass in acting technique.