Post what you're watching

deepak

I realize I am ancient by young people's standards, but I found it impossible to relate to the girls as portrayed in S1, e1. Mostly because I found it incredibly disturbing how abusive a relationship the main character was in, yet she didn't seem to realize it. Worse, she actually seemed to think she was sexually empowered, when I found her anything but. Her friends weren't any better, just messed up in different ways. 

It was more disturbing thinking about my young nieces living through similar situations as they approach adulthood.

Is this really where young women are today?

Haven't watched since.

I realize I am ancient by young people's standards, but I found it impossible to relate to the girls as portrayed in S1, e1. Mostly because I found it incredibly disturbing how abusive a relationship the main character was in, yet she didn't seem to realize it. Worse, she actually seemed to think she was sexually empowered, when I found her anything but. Her friends weren't any better, just messed up in different ways. 

It was more disturbing thinking about my young nieces living through similar situations as they approach adulthood.

Haven't watched since.

I just like it since they poke fun at aging hipsters...

Haven't watched since.

There's a lot to respond in your post and while I doubt their lives are exactly universal (it takes a few combined elements for that lifestyle), it does seem 'of the times.' I will say if you stick with the first season you may find that relationship story arc much more interesting than you would have thought. And by that I don't simply mean clever or well written by the standards of American serial television.  

Banshee.  Holy hell this is a brutal show but I kind of like it.  :)

I know someone who was raped and beaten within a half inch of her life and its always rankled me.  The fight with the boxer who beats women was one of the most cathartic things I've seen on television.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...