Post what you're watching

deepak

Hamilton's America on PBS

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 10.03.04 AM.png

A PBS crew followed Lin-Manuel Miranda around for what looks like a few years as he prepared "Hamilton," put it on, and got to deal with the overwhelming public enthusiasm once it became a hit. 

PBS did a wonderful job with this.

I'm more excited than ever to see "Hamilton" now when it comes to San Francisco next year.

Can be streamed here: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365870668/

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

Ghost in the Shell: the New Movie (done by the same director who did the ...Arise... miniseries) -- this is great.  Although, why couldn't they give it a more creative subtitle -- Arisen?  Arise-er-er?.  Favourite exchange so far:

Togusa: If his body's dead, his Ghost dies with it.
Logicoma 6A:  Well that's just poor design!

(Yes, ( a ) the tachikomas are back, and ( b ) they're called logicomas for some reason.  ( c ) (unrelated)  I'm going to use the analogy, "that's like explaining death to a logicoma".)

Favourite subtitles (in rapid sequence, so you only see one character changing):

[SOLDIER 6B gasps]
[SOLDIER 6A gasps]
[SOLDIER 6D gasps]
[SOLDIER 6C gasps]

It's not one timeline.  As far as I can tell, there's three separate timelines:  Ghost in the Shell/Innocence; Stand-Alone Complex/Solid State Society; and Arise/the New Movie.

No, seriously, this may be the biggest spoiler I've ever spoiler tagged, so don't unspoiler-tag this unless you really really want to know:

I just finished watching the end of one of those, and two of those timelines may be related.

Best not to put too much thought into it, and just enjoy the sweet sweet beautiful visuals.

PS  Just finished it -- fucking glorious.

On 10/24/2016 at 7:54 PM, Dusty Chalk said:

I probably liked that first episode the least -- I just didn't "get" the ending, and I don't think they did neither.  I think they just wrote something, I was happy enough with the premise and most of the story arc, they just didn't know how to conclude it.  I think they knew that, too, and that's fine.  They certainly more than made up for it with all the other episodes, from "Playtest" on.  "San Junipero" was by far the most affecting.  But I have to admit, "Hated in the Nation" had me on the edge of my seat.  So...yeah...all of them.

Probably agree with Dusty on all this.

I'm thinking that someone who does live and die by their "likes" or spends a large amount of time on social media might find the ending of Nosedive sharper.

I totally loved Hated in the Nation though. I didn't even notice the extended length until after it was over.

• Like 1

Fight Club. I haven't seen this since high school. I saw it for the first time in the theater. I now recognize how much this influenced me. Perfect movie for 16 year olds exploring politics. It's really good. Also really stupid. I love David Fincher. Glad I grew out of this. Fincher is great, though: his Zodiac is still the best mainstream movie from 2000-2010, in my opinion. 

If anybody ever directed a movie version of Neal Stephenson's Zodiac, I'd want it to be Fincher. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
clarity
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, grawk said:

Wait, someone made a movie of Zodiac?  I thought only about 75 people had read zodiac.

Fincher's Zodiac is about the Zodiac Killer.  Notice the "if" in the statement about Stephenson's Zodiac.  Watching Fight Club again, for the first time in so long, just convinced me that if anybody did direct an adaptation of the book Zodiac, Fincher has the right mix for it.  I've edited the comment for clarity.

• 2 weeks later...