Post what you're watching

deepak

Africa's Great Civilizations

58be0d07a0c50_ScreenShot2017-03-06at5_29_15PM.png.4fa5324f2823ba015c93f5bd8f5c1e42.png

I started watching a new documentary series on PBS about (as the title would indicate) the great civilizations of Africa. All episodes can be streamed for free.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/africas-great-civilizations/home/

It is Dr. Henry Louis Gates' latest project. I watched the first two episodes and I've been enjoying it and learning a lot. I think the last world history class I had was sophomore year of high school so there is a ton here that is new and fascinating.

The first episode primarily focused on the Egyptians and Kush while the second looked at the spread of christianity and islam in Africa as seen through the lens of the great empire of Axum.

Man, I would love to visit some of these places. Meroe and Lalibela in particular look absolutely spectacular. Egypt of course is, as anyone who has been there can tell you, stunning as well.

First two episodes of Iron Fist. The usual slow start but episode two was better than episode one. So far it is a mixture of Daredevil and Luke Cage. It has potential but so far the action scenes are not Daredevil quality and the cast is not Jessica Jones quality.

Hogarth does make an appearance and I love her retorts and hubris

Edited by morphsci

If you read the AV club review that is so filled with errors I am not convinced they actually watched it. I would say the first episode is on par with Luke Cage, which started out slow. All of the Netflix Marvel series spend a lot of time filling you in if you are a virgin to the series. I am going to keep watching because every one improved over time, including the acting. Not everyone can get into character as quickly as De Niro.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unholy carp, this is devastating.  Anyone who has teenagers, is thinking about having teenagers, or who has ever been a teenager needs to watch this.

I totally knew people like this.  I was quite a bit more oblivious than Clay, but probably did just as much damage, if not more.

Fuck.  Being a teenager is hard enough, I just can't imagine what it would be like to be a teenager in this day&age.