Post what you're watching

deepak

If anyone ever gets a link to this please share. 

Russian TV to air its own patriotic retelling of Chernobyl story

“Russian state TV is set to air its own drama about the deadly 1986 Chernobyl disaster – but unlike the HBO series, which has transfixed viewers around the world, this version will claim that a CIA spy was present for the worst nuclear accident in history.”

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, blessingx said:

I wasn't aware this existed. Linking in case you weren't also. There's a weekly sister HBO Chernobyl podcast. As the show was about truth and some compromises had to done in the mini-series around facts, this is to explain those choices. It's actually more interesting that just that.  

Thanks for the podcast recommendation Ric. I finished the series this morning on my commute. I have not watched the series, but I found the podcast informative and engaging.  (so many bad things).

cheers.

• Like 3

Anyone watching Nicolas Winding Refn’s Too Old To Die Young on Amazon Prime? I’ve only seen the pilot so far, but it’s very [surprise] Nicolas Winding Refn. You know, good or bad, it’s some endpoint. Probably best to watch late into the night, after a couple glasses or other poisons. Prepare to move slow.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay, now mid-way through  Too Old To Die Young (Prime). THIS IS SOMETHING SPECIAL. Is it meandering, indulgent, and too violent? Yep. Can I sell it to you as great? I'm still not sure. But if you can put up with its vices, do the practically exhausting work to meet halfway, and float on its language and tension, it's an exciting ride to watch an artist create (and only one will take you here). Like movies (which each of these 60-90 minute structured episodes pretty much are), television is such a collaborative medium, it's exciting to see an actual personality surface. Many critics have issues with this series. I don't blame them. I also don't think there are many television achievements this grand, even in this new golden age we're in.

It's pretty dark though. Be prepared.       

Too_Old_to_Die_Young_Billy_Baldwin.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just one more post, from another’s perspective

“Nicolas Winding Refn  is an aesthete; his films vacuous yet gorgeous, replete with all kinds of technical bravado, sly camera movements, images that glisten, over-saturated colors, aphotic darkness, and thrumming music. He’s as philosophical as the college sophomore who just discovered Heidegger (which makes him smarter than the student who just discovered Kant, natch). But his craftsmanship! As Nietzsche said, “All of life is a dispute over taste,” and Refn (or NWR—his directorial credit reads, #ByNWR) certainly isn’t for everybody. His new Amazon show, Too Old to Die Young, is glacial and gaudy, repetitive, a shiny, neon-sodden traipse into an ugly underworld set to an anxious, irascible electronic score and digitally photographed so assiduously, so obsessively, with its slow zooms and precise pans and persnickety compositions that look like modern art installations, anyone who doesn’t nerd out over that kind of stuff will probably find the series insufferable. Characters? Plot? Politics? Hah. This is braggadocio filmmaking, stupid and sublime.”

Stranger Things S3

ST3_Production_Still_4.0.jpg

Fun, charming, delightful… basically exactly what you’d expect after the first two seasons. Great new adds to the cast, though the series’ formula is starting to wear a little thin. I hope if they do bring it back it ends after a fourth season. Better to stay too short than stay too long.

• Like 1