Post what you're watching

deepak

On 8/16/2019 at 9:06 AM, morphsci said:

Just finished "The Boys". Still not sure how much I like it or even my feelings about it. It surely is fucked up, but probably more real in its portrayals.

i just started it a few days ago.  It's the first show in a long time to capture my interest enough to actually want to watch more.  Only through the first three episodes but looking forward to the rest of it even though I have no idea where they are going with it.  

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 1:18 PM, tyrion said:

Watched the first season of Mindhunter on Netflix.  Highly recommend.

Somehow Mindhunter’s second season is even better than its great first. For those who haven’t seen yet, don’t judge solely by the pilot (or title). David Fincher’s explorations here are pretty interesting. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, blessingx said:

Somehow Mindhunter’s the second season is even better. For those who haven’t seen yet, don’t judge solely by the pilot (or title). David Fincher’s explorations here are pretty interesting. 

Thanks for reminding me ithat the second season dropped..

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:08 AM, morphsci said:

Watched the first episode of season one of Mindhunter and could not make it through episode two. I probably won't continue. Different strokes ...

Different strokes indeed, but for what it’s worth the show (and onscreen team) comes together in episode three, should you ever get the urge to give it another shot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Carnival Row—excellent production values, some nicely morally complex characters (but I think I know how this is going to go), and some interesting takes on contemporary issues.  Recommended!

Totally agree Dusty!

There are a lot of big budget movies that could learn a thing or two from this show.

The only weakness I've seen so far is there's only one season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blessingx said:

More commentary please. 

Excellent.  I don't know if you remember, but I went through a film noir phase a couple years ago, but somehow missed this one.  It's not perfect, and I certainly wouldn't call it the best British film ever made, but I very much enjoyed it for what it was.  My favourite aspect was the morally complex character development in several of the characters, and the very real emotional struggles of the main character.

The "four countries" aspect reminded me of Park Chan-wook's Joint Security Area a bit.  But I can already see how it is more representative of European relations.  Now I need to go read the article.

5 hours ago, blessingx said:

Coincidentally the below was published recently. I know I’ve said it before, but The Third Man is my favorite movie-movie. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2019/sep/05/the-third-man-behind-the-scenes-film-noir-in-pictures 

I'm getting at that age (of sleep deprivation/planned obsolescence) that you need to repeat things.

And thanks for the link, will read that one too.  

Also, this:

• Thanks 1

Green Frontier or Frontera verde.

I have the language advantage here, yet there are a number of Amazonian ethnic groups with their language in play, and having to rely on subtitles in these instances.

There isn’t much to be said here before having to go into spoilers. Cinematography is superb, excellent cast, great locations. There are issues, but overall enjoyed the trip. I use the word trip here perhaps with 3 meanings. Think Darren Aronofsky-ish style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...