Post what you're watching

deepak

Finished up Ken Burns' Country Music. I wouldn't say it made me any more of a country fan, I  but I do have have new appreciation for the effort, craft, showmanship and musicianship. It is well done. I learned a lot.

Two artists who impressed me were Vince Gill and Dolly Parton. Vince's songwriting and musicianship clicks with me. He is a little more cerebral than some of his peers without going too far. As for Dolly, I've always been put off by her appearance but after hearing her story and her songs I'll admit... the woman is a capital-S STAR. Really impressed by her. The fact that she isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while clowns like Bon Jovi are is a complete joke.

As for the old warhorses, the music of Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Hank Williams never gets old.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

I must’ve been in the right mood for it, I loved it.  Really good choice for the Halloween season.

It makes no sense whatsoever, but at least they don’t try to explain it with fake science.  Now I have to see the Critters movies.  (Also done by Chioto.). He also did the puppeteering in Team America: World Police.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ Going to stream. 

Anyone watch The Mill (a few years old BBC series streaming on Prime)? Any good? Sat down with Melissa and Esmé to watch after reading a review that said it was “great for the family”, but we have a rule that if in the first two minutes of a series a girl is raped, but then that rape is interrupted by a boy getting his arm mangled in machinery, we hit pause and reconsider. So we’re just under three minutes in at this point. Feedback appreciated. 

9172A7EB-A2FF-4C15-A658-57FD53AB6D2A.jpeg

• Confused 1

Everyone needs to watch this to get some perspective on what many Californians have experienced over the last year.  Last November we had a similar experience driving through dense smoke and running a gauntlet of flames bracketing our exit road.  Luckily for us it was roadside brush and no homes or buildings but scary nonetheless because with these types of fires you have no control of the outcome. 

• Like 3

Finally watched the first episode of Warrior.

The violence and nudity seem a bit gratuitous (but not excessive) – we're in a post-Game of Thrones TV era, so I guess anything that pulls them in... they've also put a lot of swearing into the dialogue, which makes sense because of the low status of most of the Chinese immigrants (and it fits right in with post-gold rush San Francisco).

Highly recommended. I'll have to stop myself from binge watching as there are only 10 episodes in the first season.

I'm also watching the first season of Into the Badlands. It's a bit clumsier in writing and execution, but has its own charms as well, being a fantasy show.

WAR_101_110217_GB_3079.jpg

Into-the-Badlands-daniel-wu.jpg

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 2

I think it's on Cinemax / Amazon Prime / Hulu in the U.S.

I'm watching both shows on Blu-ray – that's why it took so long to catch up.

Back in the 90s, I watched Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Vanishing Son, and a bunch of other stuff (never watched Martial Law or Walker, Texas Ranger, though). It's always been a niche market with few breakthroughs.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...