Post what you're watching

deepak

106740497_ScreenShot2020-01-20at12_17_05PM.png.35e372f5d90ffc397eebca0e3e9b459d.png

https://www.pbs.org/video/mccarthy-9wui76/

Caught the American Experience on Joe McCarthy over the weekend. Very good, highly recommended!

I never knew McCarthy's full story so I found it very enlightening. Not really a war hero, not much of a judge, not much of a senator either until he got the evil idea to throw others directly under the bus to raise his own profile.

Like a current politician we all know, McCarthy was a corner-cutting fraud who had no trouble making up his own "alternative facts" whenever he dug himself in to a hole.

Also like that certain someone the man lived on the attention of the media. While the Heart people might have been complicit in helping him finger suspected "reds," they all share somewhat in the blame of sensationalizing the man. Once people stopped paying attention to him McCarthy drank himself to death shortly thereafter.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2010605771_ScreenShot2020-02-25at9_22_30AM.png.001baaf75156aae28f3debbac4c426ac.png

Frontline takes a look at the rise of Amazon.

This was very good. It is also nice to see that Amazon took it seriously and made most of the top echelon of execs available for interviews. We are in totally uncharted waters going forward as it feels impossible to think of any historical analog to what Amazon is today. I've definitely been re-thinking some of my own Amazon shopping in the last year as I don't think the company really shares my values.

https://www.pbs.org/video/amazon-empire-the-rise-and-reign-of-jeff-bezos-xpco5j/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Altered Carbon season 2

Saw last night that this had dropped and almost started but I'm trying to get going on The Witcher so I'll save Carbon for the next inevitable work trip. Although, now that I think about it, that series might make for some awkward in-flight entertainment...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, n_maher said:

Saw last night that this had dropped and almost started but I'm trying to get going on The Witcher so I'll save Carbon for the next inevitable work trip. Although, now that I think about it, that series might make for some awkward in-flight entertainment...

I’m almost always watching more than one show at a time, so I have no problem watching both alternately.  That said, the science fiction does require attention, but I read the books, so I kind of had to as soon as it dropped.

They really should put out a trailer with all the actors who played the different sleeves...

Joel Kinnaman...as Takeshi Kovacs.

Anthony Mackie...as Takeshi Kovacs.

(Asian actor whose name I don’t know)...as Takeshi Kovacs.

Morgan Gao...as young Takeshi Kovacs...”

• Like 1

Joanne and  I recently finished Beforeigners

It's a mismatched Cop Buddy Nordic Noir / Scandi Thriller with a novel world building twist.

Given the initial premise, they play it pretty much straight, although it does allow them to have some fun with political correctness and multiculturalism in the world they have built.

"And in the Tjuvholmen case, one of the main investigators is actually a true Viking.
The criticism is unjustified.
We have a policy on this show that we avoid using the V-word.
- The V-word? - We prefer "of Norse descent".
Right.
Of course.
My apologies"

We enjoyed it.

Be aware: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8332130/parentalguide, or as they said in one episode. 

Similarly, Lars is shocked to find that his Stone Age neighbor lets his grade school son watch Game of Thrones, because who doesn't like violence and naked women?

From the portmanteau Title to the linguistic stylings of the characters, plenty  of depth to drag you into it.

https://sciencenorway.no/history-language-media/creating-languages-of-the-past-for-hbos-beforeigners/1560670

Good review with some light spoilers but no reveals

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/review-time-travel-and-murder-combine-in-hbos-riveting-beforeigners-series/

And in case you missed something in the subtitles, don't worry, someone transcribed them for you.

https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/episode_scripts.php?tv-show=beforeigners-2019

Enjoy!

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. We just started The Valhalla Murders, a detective show on Netflix. Thinking its somewhat like The Killing but from Iceland.... in S1 E1 there is an aerial tracking shot midway, the police woman drives back to the station, and I say....hey....isn't that @spritzer 's bakery we just saw?

In a really distinctive all white 6-tower complex, waterfront?

Below is a stock photo....

Screenshot_20200315-183516_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Seed Lady said:

Hi. We just started The Valhalla Murders, a detective show on Netflix. Thinking its somewhat like The Killing but from Iceland.... in S1 E1 there is an aerial tracking shot midway, the police woman drives back to the station, and I say....hey....isn't that @spritzer 's bakery we just saw?

In a really distinctive all white 6-tower complex, waterfront?

Below is a stock photo....

Screenshot_20200315-183516_Chrome.jpg

Yup, it is there in the on right side of the white buildings in the center. 

• Like 6