Post what you're watching

deepak

58 minutes ago, emelius said:

Upload...

it's like a RomCom sequel of Devs with added Disney sex...

do not suggest...

That doesn't sound to far off Gaspar Noé's Love

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

I know we're extremely late to it, and never read the books or saw the 2004 movie, but man, oh man, is Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Netflix... ah, series, with Neil Patrick Harris fuuunn. 

• Like 1

Charlie Broker's Antiviral Wipe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hi5G7kvo9Fs1kDXImc2Wyzu1BWZeGA5c/view

A cynical CB ranting at the TV ( and getting paid for it) Win!

and a roundup of all that's happened seen through his jaundiced view. Excellent!

fairly spoilery reviews

https://theconversation.com/charlie-brookers-antiviral-wipe-is-a-heartwarming-satire-that-reminds-us-to-laugh-138652

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/charlie-brooker-antiviralwipe_uk_5ebe38d0c5b6772bca217c9c?guccounter=1

American Experience got around to doing their retrospective on the GW Bush presidency, and it is excellent. Harsh but fair. I enjoyed it very much.

Knowing what we know now I think there is no way in hell he should have been given a 2nd term, but, having had one, did a much better job leading the nation from 2005-2008 than he did from 2001-2004. What a fucking awful mistake to go into Iraq though.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/george-w-bush/

GeorgeWBush_SigArt_2800x1576-resize-1400

• Like 2

^ "Much better" is kinda a pretty fucking low bar. 

Okay, this is what I'll be watching tomorrow... Moby Dick, San Francisco Opera, Saturday May 23, starting at 10am Pacific (or Sunday, May 24, at 11:59pm Pacific). FREE. 2 hr. and 22 min. seem long? You gonna read the novel? WHO'S IN? 

https://sfopera.com/opera-is-on/streaming/ 

The Whaling ship Pequod has been at sea for one week
Below deck, the harpooner Queequeg prays and wakes Greenhorn, a loner new to whaling. Dawn breaks and while the crew raises the ship’s sails, Starbuck, Stubb, and Flask discuss Ahab, whom no one has seen since the ship left Nantucket.

Ahab appears and tells the crew of Moby Dick, the white whale that took off one of his legs. He nails a gold doubloon to the mast and promises it to the man who first sights the whale. This is the real rea- son they have sailed, he explains: to destroy this one whale. His rous- ing call of “Death to Moby Dick!” excites everyone but the first mate, Starbuck. To no avail, he confronts Ahab about what he sees as a futile and blasphemous mission.

Starbuck instructs Greenhorn about the dangers of whaling and is soon overcome with the prospect of never seeing his family again. Stubb sights a pod of whales, but Ahab will not allow the eager crew to hunt. From the crow’s nest, Queequeg and Greenhorn look over the world, while Starbuck bemoans Ahab’s madness.

• Thanks 1

I picked the wrong day to sleep in!

Moby Dick is a real cornerstone to me and I would have loved to see the production.

I'm sure there will be some way to see it later (maybe I'll donate a few bucks).

If you hear anything about future streaming I'd love to hear about it Ric!

BTW, I think this ad ran before you moved to the Bay Area but I totally took it to heart (obviously!).

I got to 8 minutes. I finished The Road. Never saw the movie.

I don't think The Road is the greatest novel ever written, but I also don't think these guys understand the concept of literary fiction. It's not a zombie novel.

The minimalist writing style and repetition of the man and the boy's survival habits are the point of the novel. A good writer does not try to fill in every irrelevant detail, he allows the reader to use their imagination.

If the Let's Read guys were looking for some kind of plot-driven adventure, they were barking up the wrong (dead) tree in McCarthy's ash-filled wasteland.

Edited by HiWire

I prefer not to have things read to me.  Will share with my sister, thought, she loves McCarthy.

lay/lie (psychedelic, laid-back) covered Portishead's Roads, Sandi Leeper (dark electro-cabaret) covered Garbage's Milk.  Al1ce (the main reason I'm watching, goth-tinged poprock) covered Duran Duran's Ordinary World and Genesis' Land of Confusion, but really, none of those acts sound like any of those things.

After watching the first five seasons of Magnum PI in 1080p courtesy of BezosVision, I've moved on to another relic from my childhood ...Dallas.

I'm too young to remember the first however many seasons, but sure saw a lot reruns and later episodes throughout the 80s.  Watching season one is interesting for a bunch of reasons.  Early on, Bobby Ewing got equal or even more screen time than J.R. and as the show progressed, the latter became the real star.  Also, when the show first aired I was entirely too young to understand what a sexpot lolita Lucy was, I mean holy shit dude.  How did they get away with that on 70s broadcast television?  Also, in episode 2 the gang go to a discotheque and the authenticity of the gear greatly amused me:

n4Y1pBT.png

That's definitely a Technics, though I'm not entirely sure which model.  Also, dat rotary mixer.