Post what you're watching

deepak

On 9/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, TMoney said:

I follow a few game designers on twitter who were talking about the new Netflix show, "Squid Game."

I started in on it last night. It is surprisingly compelling! I am impressed so far.

Squid_Game.jpg

Yeah, finished watching the whole thing a couple weeks ago.  BRUTAL!  WRT both violence and emotion.  I really dug the highly stylized visual presentation, the soundtrack, and the premise.  So many great moments, I can't pick just one.

• Like 1

I'm watching What We Do in the Shadows, The Morning Show, Foundation, Archer, The Premise, QI, Ted Lasso etc....

But, in order to be supportive (I also tend to post when my Hollywood sister has a new project), I feel it fair to announce that my (60 Minutes) brother's written another free-to-download book about plastics...So he's ended up the guest on this podcast...

Uncomfortable facts warning:)...

Edited by emelius
spelling mishap...
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Yeah, finished watching the whole thing a couple weeks ago.  BRUTAL!  WRT both violence and emotion.  I really dug the highly stylized visual presentation, the soundtrack, and the premise.  So many great moments, I can't pick just one.

I’m happy the show is blowing up everywhere. It is legitimately pretty great.

Thought this was interesting from a story in the WSJ today:

”’Squid Game’ went through some primping to become a global megahit. With a potential language barrier, Netflix emphasized visuals, outfitting competitors in green tracksuits and building colorful sets resembling children’s playgrounds. Some of the rules for the traditional Korean games were simplified or altered.

Many Americans also enjoy watching foreign shows with English-language dubbing, rather than subtitles—a choice that Netflix’s algorithms can automatically select for users based on their past viewing.”

So Netflix cranked the visual style up to 11 to carry the show cross-culturally. That was brilliant. Also cool the algorithm can guess whether a viewer would prefer subtitles or dubbing.

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflixs-squid-game-is-the-dystopian-hit-no-one-wanteduntil-everyone-did-11633183200?mod=hp_lead_pos9

• Like 1

Yeah, PFAS is no joke. It comes up on every financing I work on for California Water Districts, particularly when their water sources include pumped ground water. Thankfully, people are aware of it now. At least in California we are measuring PFAS and taking steps to mitigate the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bridgerton_Title_Card.png

So after being surprised by the quality of Squid Game I decided to give Netflix's other big 2021 hit, Bridgerton, a shot.

Bridgerton is actually pretty good! It has the feel of something like Pride and Prejudice, just updated for a 2021 audience. It is worth taking a chance on, IMO. Not everything hits, but there is enough good stuff here to recommend the show.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, emelius said:

I'm watching What We Do in the Shadows, The Morning Show, Foundation, Archer, The Premise, QI, Ted Lasso etc....

But, in order to be supportive (I also tend to post when my Hollywood sister has a new project), I feel it fair to announce that my (60 Minutes) brother's written another free-to-download book about plastics...So he's ended up the guest on this podcast...

Uncomfortable facts warning:)...

In the lines of this video, I've just watched this other one recently released by Sabine, one of my favourite physicists (not that I know many)

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, robm321 said:

As the interwebs tend to do, this lead to many other recommended airflight discussions, landing on Aeroflot Flight 593. Is that one common knowledge? The one where the relief pilot let his kids take over the controls? Not to get all morbid, but...