Post what you're watching

deepak

14 Peaks on Netflix. About Nimsdai Purja climbing all 14 mountains over 8000 metres. All in the Himalayas of course. In 7 months. Previous record: 7 years. In the process he broke 6 mountaineering world records. Stunning. One of these massive mountains he did with a stinking hangover!

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81464765

By the same production team that did Free Solo https://films.nationalgeographic.com/free-solo about Alex Honnold free climbing El Cap in 3 hours. Full thing on Amazon Prime. I defy you not to grab the arms of the chair and curl your toes for that one.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

14 Peaks on Netflix…

Thanks for the recommendation, CS!

Truly some amazing footage. The parts where they came upon other climbers in distress in the dead-zone are extremely harrowing. What a wild athletic achievement.

I remember when that Everest photo went viral. To have hit some of those mountains at the precise window for the entire year is a testament to luck, but also to his skill and and the skill of his team.

The Shape of Water. I haven’t seen it before. I’ve been promised fish fucking. I had better get fish fucking. 

On 11/28/2021 at 4:19 AM, emelius said:

The Peter Jackson Beatles thingy...VERY interesting to fans...

it should definitely carry a Yoko warning...keep the remote within lunging distance...

I mean, I watched it. I’m an obsessive Beatles fan. Have the Let It Be set here (didn’t even have to pay for it*). I think Yoko comes off as a perfectly nice person who happened to fall in love with the most famous person in the world. There were no villains. Not even the cops who tried to shut down Rooftop.

Edit; auto correct error. 

*they probably meant to send it to somebody else. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

^didn't mean to imply that she was a bad person back then, just a bad* sing(?)er...

that one convo they had when her & John weren't there was golden...

& I would argue that she's a bad person now...

*what's the word for when you want to rip off one of your appendages just so you know you'll have something to beat them with?...

• Haha 1

I have no idea what she is like now, and I agree she isn’t a great singer. I think that relationship was abusive, but it was consensual (and I think pretty much only went one way, abuse wise).

I don’t know what the word for that is, but if you find out let me know! It’s one I would use. 

Did not actually get fish fucking in The Shape of Water. Honestly I think GDT looked at the Abe Sapien costume and thought “I’d fuck that; I should make a movie about that.” The version I have had scenes in Russian with no subtitles. I don’t know if that is in purpose, but the two main characters couldn’t speak, so maybe?

I’m aware that I’m talking about a movie from several years ago, but I’m in my backlog.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found a copy of a play that I liked a long time ago.

Lemon Sky -- by Lanford Wilson

Plot summary
The story is about a teenager named Alan who has recently graduated from high school. He moves from the Midwest to San Diego, California, in the 1950s to live with his estranged father and his new family. Attempting to overcome the past, Alan is confronted with problems in his new family.

Television film
Wilson adapted the play for a television film of the same name on PBS. The film was broadcast in February 1988 as part of American Playhouse. Directed by Jan Egleson, the film starred Kevin Bacon as Alan, with Tom Atkins as the father Doug and Lindsay Crouse as Doug's second wife. Kyra Sedgwick, who met future husband Bacon during rehearsals, played Carol, a teenaged boarder: "pill-popping, promiscuous... who seems to spend most of her time with the US Navy." In his review for The New York Times, John J. O'Connor wrote that the film is "terrific", praising the "uncommonly fine performances". Casey Affleck made his screen debut in the film as Alan's stepbrother, Jerry.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

The Paul Young Radio Gaga moment of the crowd clapping is one of the greatest moments of a crowd completely locked in. 

Freddie wasn't too shabby at Live Aid, either.

And as I remarked to Joanne, both concerts were before the invention of auto-tune, so the singers could actually, you know, sing.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...