So, my amp sort of had a makeover. :D

philodox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have mentioned in the first post that all of this fine woodwork was done by our very own Steve Tice [swt61]. Steve is so talented and I am more than pleased with all of the work he has done for me. A HUGE thanks goes out to Renato [looser101] for spending all day yesterday working on my amp. While he can be a perfectionist at times, in fact that is why his Wife left him, but his attention to detail really helped everything go smoothly. :cool:

[the Wife comment is a bit of an inside joke...]

you could coat the amp in concrete and then put the wood on the concrete :)

Just as soon as Kevin sends me the form cnc files, and the concrete mix recipe...

Actually, I do have a curly koa faceplate, and am waiting for it to erupt at any time.

Jay congrats - too bad Peter has no concept of asthetics.

Thanks for all the comments guys. :)

I am really liking the way it looks, and the sound is great. Everything just 'working' all the time is a nice feature. :D

On an unrelated note, how is it using an easy chair like that at your computer? I want something more comfortable for listening, and my rig is by my computer as well.
I like it a lot. I usually sit in it cross legged when I type and if just listening I can get all comfortable. :)
You must be proud.
Yeah, I think I finally have a pride of ownership that is not completely of the 'grunt, more power' variety. :)
Jay congrats - too bad Peter has no concept of asthetics.
He'll see the amp at some point... maybe it will be a wakeup call. I do know that his new helper guy is trying to make some changes in the look of the stock amps, so we might see some improvements there.
Extreme Makeover, Philodox Edition.
hehe, I was thinking about putting something like that in the title. [though I was thinking 'amp edition'] :laugh:

Thanks for posting those before pics Renato. There are some in this post as well that show it without the new transformer cover.

Yeah, it is a pretty big hand wound transformer. It doesn't fill the whole wood box, but a large portion of it. There is also a really tiny transformer in there... not sure what it does, maybe steps up the voltage for the 'big honker'? ???

Btw. Can anyone guess where that vent on the transformer cover came from? >:D

If you all would see the pictures that i have seen on the inside of the thing and

knew anything about vintage stuff, it would become completely apparent from the

kind of wires coming out of the transformer that they came specifically from

machine wound transformers made by STANCOR. Nothing else looks like that.

There is also another teltale sign from the bottom that also specifically points to

STANCOR.

Peter needs to knock off the complete bullshit.