So just how good/bad is the amp on the Apogee Mini DAC?

KenW

I've been intrigued by this unit for some time and figure it would be a nice office source/amp and perhaps serve as a backup should something happen to part of my main rig. I know the dac is well respected, but how does it do as a headphone amp? How do the 650s sound straight out of the XLR outs on it? The other option I'm considering is Justins new mighty might but that's several months off. Guess I could wait, but patience is not my strong suit. Btw, what do the Mini DAC's go for on the used market these days? Rarely see on on 'Gon, but they do turn up occasionally. If anyone has extensive time with the apogee, I'd appreciate your thoughts and comparisons to other amps/dacs you've owned.

I got my mini-DAC (USB version) on the 'gon, for about $700 (was posted as $850 obo).

The headphone amp is pretty good. Unlike some built-in headphone amps on DAC's, it will almost certainly not be too quiet (8.7Vrms max output). There is no noise, hiss, or the like, even with E500's, and there is enough flexibility with the volume knob for just about any headphone. It doesn't alter the sound signature of the DAC in any significant way that I can tell (unlike the DAC1's thin amp, the Aqvox MkII's laid-back amp, etc).

The main issue I have with it, and what's currently itching me to get a different amp, is that it collapses the soundstage depth (at least for my AT headphones) knocking the sound down to a 2-layer, front/back setup like I recall my old DAC1 to have sounded. Hardly a capital offense, but moving from the airy W5000 to the L3000, I'll take all the soundstage I can get.

I've never used it to drive balanced headphones, so no info there.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the Apogee would go nicely with the Denons at the office. Not sure if I want to pony up the extra $$ for the USB option since my MacBook Pro has an optical out as does the SB3 along with a coax as well. $700 would be a great get though. Guess I'll lurk around Audiogon and see if one turns up.

• 5 months later...

Bumping an old thread.

Kinda off-topic, but I just spotted an occasion to get a used MiniDac w/ USB for 680$. I wasn't planning to get this DAC, but it's pretty tempting because it's a local deal. Is it worth it if I plan to use it only for the DAC section, feeding a M^3 ?