The Ultimate All in one

Okay.

I've been applying to new apartments and they keep asking me about my stuff (Berkeley people are notoriously stressing over conservation and such). The thing is that my rig keeps freaking people out: i use alot of electricity and many power cords and shit. At minimum i use: 1 outlet for my music hard drive, 1 outlet for my sound card, 1 outlet for my transport, 1 outlet for my dac, and 1 outlet for my Zana Deux. This is bad... very bad. It doesn't look good and such.

The thing is that I want to say away from making me rig into a "benchmark dac-1 with usb." or worse a corda opera. If i do decide to consolidate, I want something that's gonna be the shit. here are my ideas, and your input is very much needed for this. thankyou.

1. Buy a headroom balanced home with max modules.

2. Buy a wadia CDP and use the balanced out on that.

3. Buy some kick ass dac with balanced output... but which?

4. keep my current rig, hope the land lady doesn't notice.

What kind of assholes are you renting from dude? I rent in Berkeley too, and no one ever gave me shit about my rig, and it's a lot more unsightly than yours lol :laugh:

Just explain to your landlord that it's none of his/her fucking business since they are not the ones to pay the electricity bill.

Just explain to your landlord that it's none of his/her fucking business since they are not the ones to pay the electricity bill.

That's my thought on the whole thing, as well. However, they can technically do what they want since they own the place, so maybe put it in nicer terms.

That's my thought on the whole thing, as well. However, they can technically do what they want since they own the place, so maybe put it in nicer terms.

It's berkeley, the landlord is probably not even allowed into your apartment. Renters have amazing rights in california. I think anyone who's a landlord in california has to do it as charity, they've got so many restrictions.

In review, here are your options so far:

* Move On - Look for somewhere else to live. This can't be the only sufficient residence.

* Get Clever - It can't be that hard to outsmart a wacko landlady. Get to work.

* Stand Up - Stand up to the bitch and let her know the wisdom of your ways. What's she doing browsing through your stuff anyways??

* Partially surrender - Get a 1-box source but KEEP the Zana Deux!

* Fully Surrender - This option will make cry, beacuse I probably won't have funds available for the Zana Deux when you sell it :( I'd be pretty skeptical there's any 1-box solution that could stand up to a decent source with the Zana Deux, even considering balanced drive.

* Go Vinyl - It won't solve your problem here, but this is like, always an option man.

Granodemostasa, have you tried explaining that all those devices in total use hardly any power? I'd be surprised if all the gear in your list used more than 100-150 watts in total. Number of outlets in use does not equate to power usage in anyway shape or form.

David, your rig *does not* freak anybody out. Okay, the ZD might worry the uninitiated, but seriously... outsmart the landlady, or stand up to her.

And just for perspectives: I'm sure the ZD eats more power than my Mapletree, but I have my setup /and/ a whole bunch of other things, and I've never paid more than $25 in utilities.

Nah.....mulveling must be hitting the bottle early today. In this case, you really need to cut down on the bling bling to please your land lady. The Zana has got to go....trust me.....trust me....... ;)

* Fully Surrender - This option will make cry, beacuse I probably won't have funds available for the Zana Deux when you sell it :( I'd be pretty skeptical there's any 1-box solution that could stand up to a decent source with the Zana Deux, even considering balanced drive.

Not a problem. My paypal is in fine shape. If you need to sell, you can call on me. As they say.....timing is everything. >:D >:D

* Move On - Look for somewhere else to live. This can't be the only sufficient residence.

* Get Clever - It can't be that hard to outsmart a wacko landlady. Get to work.

* Stand Up - Stand up to the bitch and let her know the wisdom of your ways. What's she doing browsing through your stuff anyways??

* Go Vinyl - It won't solve your problem here, but this is like, always an option man.

1. The thing that bothers me is that this is the best place to rent from so far, however I am looking at 5 more places this weekend. hopefully one of them is better than this lady's place.

2. In this arrangement, she pays all the utilities, so that makes it important to her that no one waste electricity. After having been to the place, I'm pretty sure that no one there would use the power that I would. And, yes she is crazy... she got on my case and started being very accusatory when I told her about my gear...

3. My latest power bill was $60,

4. I'm thinking of building a file cabinet... that will have a headphone cord sticking out of it. >:D

5. Standing up to the landlord is a bit tricky... they've been fucking cal students for years. Last year, most wouldn't rent to one of my friends because he was disabled... and they got away with it! I've seen them enter and give tours without the tenant's permission...if there are laws, they are rarely followed.

6. Ken, sorry. I am going to try to keep it (at least for this week) you'll have to to take that petty second production Zana Deux with it's cheaper parts, hazy tubes and smaller power supply.

7. I'm going to visit more places.. but for the most part, places are bad to worse in this town. :mikey1:

2. In this arrangement, she pays all the utilities, so that makes it important to her that no one waste electricity. After having been to the place, I'm pretty sure that no one there would use the power that I would. And, yes she is crazy... she got on my case and started being very accusatory when I told her about my gear...

3. My latest power bill was $60,

I kind of assumed she was paying the utilities, but like I mentioned in my previous post your gear uses hardly any power. The A/C, refrigerator, computer will all use way more power than you gear is. If she can't understand that or is just a complete nutcase move on.

my landlord put in a dedicated audio power outlet for me. sounds like Cincinnati ain't so bad, after all ;)

No, it's Cincinnati O0

All kidding aside David, if your landlady is really THAT anal about her electricity bill, just tell her that you are willing to contribute some of your own money.

No, it's Cincinnati O0

All kidding aside David, if your landlady is really THAT anal about her electricity bill, just tell her that you are willing to contribute some of your own money.

Bad idea, if she's that anal about the power bill just think of how bad she'll be if you ever need anything fixed or something else serious happens. Really sounds like a landlady worth staying away from.

I agree with tkam. If the LL just met you and she is giving you grief, just imagine what she will be like once she gets to know you and discovers more things about you she dosen't like. Don't try to hide the gear, she already knows you have it and no matter what, when the utility bill goes up it will be your fault. My advice is to run away. Run far away or your life will become a living hell. >:D Now have a nice day David.

LOL.

Thanks everyone. one full week of searching, and sadly... her place is still atop the pile. looking for rooms in Berkeley is sorta a race to the bottom. (example: a frat was renting rooms, but renters are not allowed in the living room or kitchen!).

In any case, I'm interested in that qualia CDP. does it have digital inputs?

(example: a frat was renting rooms, but renters are not allowed in the living room or kitchen!).

thats cause they can't be lettin you independents learn about their magical mystery rituals. also you can't go in the basement, cause thats where their hazin them goddamn pledges.

LOL.

Thanks everyone. one full week of searching, and sadly... her place is still atop the pile. looking for rooms in Berkeley is sorta a race to the bottom. (example: a frat was renting rooms, but renters are not allowed in the living room or kitchen!).

In any case, I'm interested in that qualia CDP. does it have digital inputs?

Hate to come across as a vulture waiting for the end, but I have to ask.....are you going to sell that Zana? If so.....DIBS!!