Too much edition 9 love in Headfi....have u listened to them?

purk

Wauw...so many bad impressions on the ed9 here...so many good impressions on the 780's on headfi...makes me feel my ears are terribly flawed or my taste is even worse..sigh...(although it's good to see some of these impressions are based on a flawed model).

I really like the ed9, enough to blow my money on them in the future. I was really impressed by these. They even make shitty music sound good too lol!

Too bad I'm unable to hear the other great contenders mentioned in this thread.

I'd love to make it to the CanJam but that's just impossible, moneywise.

Why feel bad about liking the Ed. 9s even if some people here don't like them? I like my Ed. 9s very much and even more after getting them balanced. I think that the Beta22 I bought from thrice is going to make them very happy. Although they sound excellent on my SDS-XLR, I believe that sovkiller is right that they respond better to solid state for some reason. I have had that experience on other occasions, although it is usually the other direction because some cans (HP-2) only really sound good with tube gear.

Now, on the other hand, even though I have never heard the 780s I am still quite convinced that any positives about them on HF are warped. People whose ears I trust have said they suck and why, so if you don't like the sound of them, then you are proving your ears not flawed. ;D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What other dynamics are you refering to?

I really like the ed9's but I would like to try to hear the great contenders (but I guess most of them are no longer being made..?) so that I have a clear view on what's out there in that pricerange and how they stack up against the ed9.

When spending that much money on headphones, which I'm definitely gonna do, I'm not buying blind or based on someone else's opinion.

In the end it's also a matter of taste and i dislike the hd600/650 so far from what've heard. I kinda lost what I wanted to say...I'm tired...thanx for your input though ;)

If you like them better than anything else you've heard and want them, by all means you should get them. Who cares what anybody else says. The idea is to please yourself, not others. Enjoy them! :)

Ow, it's not that I feel bad for liking them and I most certainly will buy them in the future.

It's just that sometimes I have the feeling my prefs / ears / tastes differ some compared to the mainstream preferences.

I mean, I'm not a sennheiser fan. I dislike the 780's which many peeps seem to like on headfi. I like my 750s and the ed9 and over here it seems as all Ultrasones are being bashed, almost bose-like. I absolutely dislike the DT770's (80 ohms) which are liked by many people on the boards especially because of their bass and that's the main reason I don't like them. Their bass sucks imo. Overpowering, muddy, not detailed and the rest of the spectrum is lacking or just overpowered by their aweful bass.

That just makes me wonder whether it's me who's deaf or just everyone else. The latter seems kind of absurd. It, ofcourse and more likely, is that I just have different preferences and what I like and want from a headphone. But I am merely speculating here. My comments, this one and the previous one, crossed my mind several times now, especially triggered by me not liking the 780s while a whole lot of people do.

I mean, bloated bass is bloated bass, right and everybody should, could, would notice that, right? But it doesn't work like that it appears and it just made me wonder and I decided to blahh it in a post ;D

Anyways, what I aso meant was that I would like to hear the hps that fall in the same price catagory as the ed9s to see how different they are and to be able form a more...objective like meaning or even a more knowledgable meaning.

I don't have golden ears and even more my knowledge is still really lacking in describing and recognizing sound. When people talk about a more pronounced "upper" midrange or treble or more subbass I'm like, how the hell do you hear that. Or about what freqs are recessed or the opposite.

I can only talk about bass, mids and highs and only limited.

It's being mentioned that the 750s have a hollow midrange ??? I don't know how to detect that. I think I can hear it in certain songs and in others (like in most) I don't. Same is for the peaky treble / sibilance. I don't hear that. In some songs yes but not in most.

Now, does that mean it's all depending on the recording?

Take the recessed midrange of the 750s..in some songs more noticable than others. Is that just showing the recording as is or does it always have recessed midrange but when a recording has a too much forward midrange it's getting evened out by my hp, making it sound like a good balanced midrange? (confusing he :P )

Or maybe it's just my mood of the day or maybe even a combination of all those factors.

And now I have gone so far of topic haha....but that's what I was thinking about and since you all have a habit here of going of topic.... ;D

Bleh to convention and group thinking, go with what you enjoy. I have sonic preferences a good many here disagree with but so what? I don't care, they don't care, it's called preference and has nothing to do with being deaf or wrong. I like what I like and couldn't give a tinkers cuss what anyone elses opinions of them are. Having your own mind and deciding for yourself is a great thing.

Bleh to convention and group thinking, go with what you enjoy. I have sonic preferences a good many here disagree with but so what? I don't care, they don't care, it's called preference and has nothing to do with being deaf or wrong. I like what I like and couldn't give a tinkers cuss what anyone elses opinions of them are. Having your own mind and deciding for yourself is a great thing.

What is a "tinker's cuss" anyway? :popcorn:

I coudn't agree more ;)

I absolutely dislike the DT770's (80 ohms) which are liked by many people on the boards especially because of their bass and that's the main reason I don't like them. Their bass sucks imo. Overpowering, muddy, not detailed and the rest of the spectrum is lacking or just overpowered by their aweful bass.

That just makes me wonder whether it's me who's deaf or just everyone else. The latter seems kind of absurd. It, ofcourse and more likely, is that I just have different preferences and what I like and want from a headphone.

I thought the dt770 had some of the worst bass I've ever heard on a headphone. And I like my bass. :P

Biggie.

I've only heard the bassy version of the 770 once and I have to say, there was indeed a shitload of bass there. Quite impressive quantities, prodigious in point of fact. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. Certainly much more bass than my usual fare and more than any other can at the meet. It was a short listen, but damn! :o

• 4 weeks later...

after owning the edition 9 for 3 weeks. All i can say is that WOW , the more i listen to it the more i love it(surround sound, detail, nice controlling bass, nice soundstage). By the way, i match my edition 9 with my rudistor rpx-33 or rsa raptor.