Too much edition 9 love in Headfi....have u listened to them?

purk

Just in the past week, there got to be more than seven or eight thread devoted to the Ed.9 and how special they are. When I had Mulveling's Ed. 9 (he now sold them) for three week they sounded very good over all for rocks but I found them unnatural due to their recessed midrange and the whole "S-Logic" presentation for other genres. If you are a rock and heavy metals fan, they are quite good, but for everything else they are not even as good as the Senn HD-650 w/ my Zu cable. I found the Ed.9's to be way over emphasis on bass and lack refinement in many areas in comparison to the L3000 and W2002 that I have on hand. What's your take on them? I'm quite curious. My impression of the Ed.9 was very similar to Mike but they seem to do no wrong on headfi right now. Again, they sound very good for rocks...but still rank behind the L3000, PS-1, HP-1000, HE90, and R10 and probably slightly better than the RS-1 for rock. I yet to see any L3000, PS-1, and HP-1000 owners are raving about them. What do you guys think?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think they were that great for hard rock/metal, either. Having natural tone & bass response is usually still a big plus for those generes. Unfortunately this isn't like 3 years ago, when the HP1000 could be had under $700 and a new L3000 for $1500. The Edition 9 is perfectly positioned to look like the prince of the current dynamic world, but really it doesn't do anything to elevate it above the far cheaper DX1000, HD650, possibly K701 and others. In fact I prefer the HD650, DX1000, and possibly K701 to the Ed 9 regardless of price. I feel pretty confident the Ed9 could compete with at least the HD600 and RS1, though :laugh:

I was excited about them for a while because they sounded pretty damn decent (but not great) out of the box - from all the hype, I was expecting for them to transform and blossom after sufficient burn-in, ala L3000. First 20 hours came and went, then 300 and 350, a bit nicer but no major change - my issues with its main sonic quirks had not been addressed. Then I started to give up on them for good :P

I didn't think they were that great for hard rock/metal, either. Having natural tone & bass response is usually still a big plus for those generes. Unfortunately this isn't like 3 years ago, when the HP1000 could be had under $700 and a new L3000 for $1500. The Edition 9 is perfectly positioned to look like the prince of the current dynamic world, but really it doesn't do anything to elevate it above the far cheaper DX1000, HD650, possibly K701 and others. In fact I prefer the HD650, DX1000, and possibly K701 to the Ed 9 regardless of price. I feel pretty confident the Ed9 could compete with at least the HD600 and RS1, though :laugh:

I was excited about them for a while because they sounded pretty damn decent (but not great) out of the box - from all the hype, I was expecting for them to transform and blossom after sufficient burn-in, ala L3000. First 20 hours came and went, then 300 and 350, a bit nicer but no major change - my issues with its main sonic quirks had not been addressed. Then I started to give up on them for good :P

Yeah...I see what you mean...but then again I don't really listen to a lot of rock; therefore, you have a better judgement. The thing is the UE9 just sound very weird on everything else in exception to rock. For example, I was enjoying their thumping bass but what else is to love? I mean seriously.....and now the whole headfi are in FOTM mode on the Ed.9 again. All you those Ed.9 has to do is to compare their beloved Ed.9 next to the a properly amped HD-650 or HP1000, PS-1, and L3000. Seriously, for what you paid for the Ed.9...you can buy the HP1000 for around that price and the HP1000 is a much more refined. (BTW, I really want to trash talk them...but I have to be polite on headfi.) :D

Have either of you guys heard the GS-1000 at all? With the recent talk of the Ed.9 having a "V" shaped frequency response I'm curious if they sound similar to the GS-1000 (aside from the soundstage differences) as the GS-1000 also have a "V" shaped response.

Have either of you guys heard the GS-1000 at all? With the recent talk of the Ed.9 having a "V" shaped frequency response I'm curious if they sound similar to the GS-1000 (aside from the soundstage differences) as the GS-1000 also have a "V" shaped response.

Nope, no GS1000's have come this way so far :'(

Neither of us have been tempted to pony up the dough. The odd looks aren't helping to convince me :)

Yeah...the Ed.9 place way too much emphasis on the bass which to me....too much. It's kindda interfere with the rest of the spectrum too. I also never get used to that S-Logic stuff. I wish I get to hear the GS-1000 but I don't think I'm missing out. IMO, the L3000's bass has much more of an organic feel with much better textured than the Ed.9's bass.

Yeah...the Ed.9 place way too much emphasis on the bass which to me....too much. It's kindda interfere with the rest of the spectrum too. I also never get used to that S-Logic stuff. I wish I get to hear the GS-1000 but I don't think I'm missing out. IMO, the L3000's bass has much more of an organic feel with much better textured than the Ed.9's bass.

Well it DID seem to extend really deep - I'll give it that. It's also pretty grain-free through the spectrum. And I usually don't mind a bit of extra bass, but as you say, the lack of texture and natural tone is a deal breaker.

But you didn't give up on them before feeding the hype machine. Maybe so you could sell them quickly.

Biggie.

I got a great deal on some GS1Ks on audiogon, and owned them for a few weeks. My impressions thread is around here somewhere. Its not an absolutely horrible headphone, but it ain't worth no $1000. If they ran for around $400 I might have held onto them to play around with some. The bass and soundstage is very nice, but the vacant midrange and sometimes piercing highs hurt them overall.

But you didn't give up on them before feeding the hype machine. Maybe so you could sell them quickly.

Biggie.

They sold quite easily due to the ravings of Sovkiller/that big Ultrasone thread, and the supply issues Ultrasone was having at the time. AFAIK, the buyer Zoide was very happy with them :P

I first listened to the Ultrasone 2500, which I could not wait to stop listening to, as it had basically no midrange. And the soundstage had absolutely no depth, and was a flat, vertical-horizontal plane.

After that, listening to the E9 was a joy by comparison, as it actually had a noticeable midrange. Though the sounstage was not as wide or tall, it had some depth, so it didn't sound quite as odd, if a bit claustrophobic. Having only heard them at a meet, I only listened long enough that I was still sucked in by the powerful bass. And listening to them directly after the 2500 probably made them sound better than they really do. I was close to buying a pair before I got the L3000, but between the build quality and back-order, I could never convince myself to pull the trigger.

Iron_dreamer,

I don't think you will miss the Ed.9 as I think the L3000 is a better headphone all around especially in term of textured and tonality. The bass is the Ed.9 main strenght. I could see all the bass head really diging that headphones. I however, can't seem to get pass the midrange. It isn't that bad but the midrange is lacking the details and textured of the HD-650 when properly amped.

Yep...electro stat headphones are worth it if you want to build a system around them. I recently just got the HEV90+HE90 and the combo really impress the heck out of me. I think I'm done with this headphone thing.

If you've got an HE90 and don't have an ES1, you're not done. >:D

• 3 weeks later...

Iron_dreamer,

I don't think you will miss the Ed.9 as I think the L3000 is a better headphone all around especially in term of textured and tonality. The bass is the Ed.9 main strenght. I could see all the bass head really diging that headphones. I however, can't seem to get pass the midrange. It isn't that bad but the midrange is lacking the details and textured of the HD-650 when properly amped.

I just had a chance to hear some Ed. 9 this weekend with some other cans. Just like Purk I couldn't get past the midrange as well. I can see why someone liking bass would like those cans. The person had the Ed. 9s had a balanced D5000 and a JVC DX1000 stock. Honestly I thought they would impress me more, but I found that the 750s that someone else brought sounded a little better. I wrote that the 750s seemed to have more air around the instruments. Not sure if anyone experienced the same thing?

I just had a chance to hear some Ed. 9 this weekend with some other cans. Just like Purk I couldn't get past the midrange as well. I can see why someone liking bass would like those cans. The person had the Ed. 9s had a balanced D5000 and a JVC DX1000 stock. Honestly I thought they would impress me more, but I found that the 750s that someone else brought sounded a little better. I wrote that the 750s seemed to have more air around the instruments. Not sure if anyone experienced the same thing?

welcome to head-case Laine! :)

I know I already welcomed you via PM but this is your official public welcome. ;D