Too much edition 9 love in Headfi....have u listened to them?

purk

Actually more so. My statement is with regard to preference. If you listen to strictly classical orchestral - the question is easy to answer. If we talk presentation of say... Liquid Tension Experiment - HD650 failed for me. Every time. Edition 9 did pretty well. The best results I got were out of HD600, but another person chose RS-1 for the job.

Huh? Aren't we all here for what the music is supposed to sound like? Well why are 2 people choosing different headphones for the same record?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the impressions I am reading of Edition 9 here are rather extreme...

They are not bad cans guys, the sense of them being very uneven is only result of lack of acclimation to s-logic. Its just that they have stupid lack of scaling. Its a godd can out of a portable source, and it is the same great can out of 10000 bucks of electronics...its just that if you compare to hd650 for example, out of portable source hd650 is 'ight. Out of 10000 bucks of electronics HD650 is quite quite nuts.

This is pretty much what I said in the start. Decent cans, but I doubt they scale. Like the Denons. Scaling is important to me as I have state so I won't go ED9 unless I absolutely need a closed headphone with more bass (Not necessarily better) than the w5000s which while are picky amp-wise do scale quite well.

So apparently s-logic is the positioning of drivers such that echoes make the sound appears more three-dimensional.

So other manufacturers don't take echoes into account when designing headphones?

;)

W5000 angles the drivers. No other cans that I am aware of do. (Save k1000 if you want to count that haha). Different approach to dealing with echoes, and it produces different results. W5000 soundstage is quite quite nice.

W5000 angles the drivers. No other cans that I am aware of do. (Save k1000 if you want to count that haha). Different approach to dealing with echoes, and it produces different results. W5000 soundstage is quite quite nice.

[me=grawk]pulls out his irony bat.[/me]

Hmm, I can only speak for my own experience with Ultarsone Edition 9. driving directly off Grace M902, the bass is not overwhelming at all the soundstage is VERY BIG but yes the midrange could be on the flat side. Still it is very well balanced. And running of LISA III, the midrange of UE9 is very beautiful, it's no longer flat nor recessed.

But I have heard UE9 bass sounds very bloaty with sibilance high, and skinny midrange in an unmatched system especially bad recordings.

L3000 and CD3000 angle the drivers.

Aaaand I just mentioned both of them in the same sentence :'(

The S-Logic is not about an angled driver but how the sound hits the pina of the ear and the holes placed into the metal shielding. It is about the off-set of the driver and where the sound hits the ear. That is why the ear cups needs to be place forward and down. The sound is not driven directly into the tube of the ear which is the primary thing that even angled drivers do.

There are many design features of a lot of headphones that are not oblivious. With the Ultrasone headphones even the ear pads have special characteristics that vary between each headphone model in their line.

The S-Logic is not about an angled driver but how the sound hits the pina of the ear and the holes placed into the metal shielding. It is about the off-set of the driver and where the sound hits the ear. That is why the ear cups needs to be place forward and down. The sound is not driven directly into the tube of the ear which is the primary thing that even angled drivers do.

There are many design features of a lot of headphones that are not oblivious. With the Ultrasone headphones even the ear pads have special characteristics that vary between each headphone model in their line.

You tell 'em, girl!

Guest sacd lover

Regardless of the ad copy .... S-Logic sounds unnatural and nothing remotely like a speakers presentation, let alone real music. The claims S-Logic mimicks speakers is a joke. Any of the standard quality headphones like the Senn 580/600, Grado SR-325/ RS-1, AKG 701 etc... are much more realistic sounding and without the Ultrasones clearly flawed tonality.

k701 is not realistic sounding...oh god hell no.

The main issue with the Ultrasones is the diffused effect on Edition 9, they lack sharpness.

Also - unfortunately, unlike Ultrasones tries to make it out, Speakers are positioned always to aim at the user's middle

of the ear.

Regardless of the ad copy .... S-Logic sounds unnatural and nothing remotely like a speakers presentation, let alone real music. The claims S-Logic mimicks speakers is a joke. Any of the standard quality headphones like the Senn 580/600, Grado SR-325/ RS-1, AKG 701 etc... are much more realistic sounding and without the Ultrasones clearly flawed tonality.

Earl I definitely agree with you. I would take a Senn 580/600/650 and RS-1 over the Edition 9; which sounded incredibly artificial to me. Lots of bass, highs and very poor midrange.