Too much edition 9 love in Headfi....have u listened to them?

purk

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be that something is wrong with this pair? :)

nope, the pair was fine. I stand by my impressions posted in the "there's something disturbing about ultrasone" thread. the phone has strengths (bass, soundstage, comfort) and weaknesses (icy midrange, wacky treble, colored tonality).

Most probably not but next week I'll know for sure.We'll have a local mini meet and the main purpose is to compare some expensive bass heavy headphones, especially the Ed.9, the L3000 and the Stax Omega II.This way I'll have the opportunity to audition another pair.

Most probably not but next week I'll know for sure.We'll have a local mini meet and the main purpose is to compare some expensive bass heavy headphones, especially the Ed.9, the L3000 and the Stax Omega II.This way I'll have the opportunity to audition another pair.

Will you have two pair so that you can compare the UE9 against itself? Otherwise, how will you know if anything is wrong with that single pair?

I will have to agree with everyone who says the UE9 does not scale like some other headphones but in my opinion it makes almost everything I have used them with sound good, to which I don't take as a fault.

Will you have two pair so that you can compare the UE9 against itself? Otherwise, how will you know if anything is wrong with that single pair?

I've owned no. 357 we were talking about here for a few weeks.I'm quite confident in my ability to recognize a major difference, and it would have to be major to justify the price tag.

• 3 months later...

Indeed.

All impressions based on no.357 are invalid.

In the meantime I did have the opportunity to listen to other Ed9s.

Still not exactly my cup of tea but way better than no.357.

We even organized a direct comparison and this way it was revealed without any doubt that no.357 is (respectively was) a dud.

In the meantime no.357 has been repaired by Ultrasone (new drivers) for free.

I wonder if they might be a bad batch out there.That might explain some of the extremely differing opinions about them.

Indeed.

All impressions based on no.357 are invalid.

In the meantime I did have the opportunity to listen to other Ed9s.

Still not exactly my cup of tea but way better than no.357.

We even organized a direct comparison and this way it was revealed without any doubt that no.357 is (respectively was) a dud.

In the meantime no.357 has been repaired by Ultrasone (new drivers) for free.

I wonder if they might be a bad batch out there.That might explain some of the extremely differing opinions about them.

really? i'm honestly shocked. i quite enjoyed the sound of the 357 when I owned it, though it was lacking in all the areas that ultrasones are, namely midrange and tonality. basically it sounded exactly like it was described in reviews i'd read.

i'd be interested to hear another pair at canjam, but I'd also be interested to know what exactly made 357 a dud.

Damn I bought this pair (357) new just over the summer and this may be owner number 4 or 5 at this point I sold them to a guy in North Carolina...

That was me :) I'm really surprised to hear that this pair was or is faulty. I really enjoyed them when I had them. I sold them because I came across a deal that was too good to pass up (my Aura Note).

Here's a pic:

ed9.jpg

really?

Really.

The Ed9 you've sold to me didn't sound as good as regular Ed9s, that's for sure.

Several listeners were able to detect the difference, and head-fi member RichterDi even did have two other Ed9s at his disposal at the time of the comparative test.The other ones sounded the same, no. 357 did sound different.Even RichterDi's wife was easily able to to tell them apart, and she's not interested in the headphones hobby at all.

I'm glad Ultrasone did repair no.357 for free although it is a reimported Ed9 without german warranty. I feel responsible for what I sell even when I didn't know about the flaw.

In this case it was tricky since no.357 didn't sound clearly broken and without comparison there's no way to know.It happened to me before that some listeners rave about new headphones and to my ears they sound really crappy.MDR-SA5000 for instance.

............. but I'd also be interested to know what exactly made 357 a dud.

We don't know.The current owner SRVBlues has sent them to Ultrasone Germany.They agreed that it doesn't sound as it should and replaced the drivers.Maybe they didn't even bother to look closer since labour is extremely expensive in Germany and the drivers are dirt cheap.

good to hear that they repaired t#357 as I was the original owner, I just thought they sounded off in tonal accuracy. Sad to hear that there may be a batch of these with iffy sounding drivers. I recently heard Voltron's pair and they sounded really nice but I am still not sure I'd take them over the 650s or rs1s.

Wauw...so many bad impressions on the ed9 here...so many good impressions on the 780's on headfi...makes me feel my ears are terribly flawed or my taste is even worse..sigh...(although it's good to see some of these impressions are based on a flawed model).

I really like the ed9, enough to blow my money on them in the future. I was really impressed by these. They even make shitty music sound good too lol!

Too bad I'm unable to hear the other great contenders mentioned in this thread.

I'd love to make it to the CanJam but that's just impossible, moneywise.

Indra, I liked Al's balanced Ed9s outta his rig, but when comparing them to other "high-end" dynamic headphones, they don't measure up in that the others do everything better.

What other dynamics are you refering to?

I really like the ed9's but I would like to try to hear the great contenders (but I guess most of them are no longer being made..?) so that I have a clear view on what's out there in that pricerange and how they stack up against the ed9.

When spending that much money on headphones, which I'm definitely gonna do, I'm not buying blind or based on someone else's opinion.

In the end it's also a matter of taste and i dislike the hd600/650 so far from what've heard. I kinda lost what I wanted to say...I'm tired...thanx for your input though ;)