RIP Sennheiser?

TMoney

If nothing else it'll be interesting to see what Sennheiser has coming out the next few years.  Jude certainly hints at there being something coming out that he seems pretty excited about.

An actual successor to the HD800/S would be a good place to start.  If they were smart they'd also cut down on the line up, they have way too many products.

• Like 3

I missed their low-end prices (from the 90s), so I ended up getting the HD 599 SE... it's no HD 600, but it's much more versatile with portable devices. It's great for a $100 headphone, but not so much at $200+.

Their prices went into the stratosphere like everyone else's, but I think they lost the message regarding the low and mid ranges of the market. It's possible that Apple destroyed this area by including free EarPods with most of their devices and now I see "cool" people wearing the AirPods instead of the ubiquitous over-ear DJ-style headphones or earbuds that were more common years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

My takeaway is that they sound muffled and the vocals are not great and they sound like the 800S... his impressions made me look up his equipment on the YouTube video because I was curious what kind of source and headphone amp he was using, i.e., "What, no chorus of angels?"

Edited by HiWire

I'm having second thoughts on the HD8XX, not because of the above, but because I went to order replacement pads for the deteriorating cups and headband pads and can't find the latter anywhere. There's hardly a listing on search and Senn is out of stock. I was eventually browsing Croatian resellers, which I'd rather avoid if possible. I don't think Senn is in that much trouble, but anyone have a known source in the US? And yes, there are low-rated third party alternatives I'm unlikely to order.  

• 1 month later...

I remember those little, lightweight, plastic headphones with the Yellow foam earpads that were so different than any other headphones out there in the 70's. You could actually listen for hours without your ears sweating.

They were definitely innovators. End of an era, but change is a constant. 

3114.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

I remember those little, lightweight, plastic headphones with the Yellow foam earpads that were so different than any other headphones out there in the 70's. You could actually listen for hours without your ears sweating.

They were definitely innovators. End of an era, but change is a constant. 

3114.jpg

Yup....still got mine, and they lasted through my son's childhood for the road trips where he would watch movies.

hd414-1.jpg

hd414-2.jpg

• Like 3