Recommend me some universal players

postjack

So I put on the first SACD Norah Jones - come away with me -- fucking mistake!

Here voice breaks up all over the first track and others, like the mic is clipping....

The funny thing about that is the record won the Grammy that year for best sound engineering....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the problem just with the SACD version? That's what I have and it sounds like crap.

CD and SACD. Of course, what they did for the SACD was basically ripping the data off the CD and converting it to SACD format. One of the audio mags did a report on it a while back with some frequency response & other graphs and found that both versions are effectively identical, with the only difference being that the SACD costs more. ::)

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete,

Whatever happened to the comparo? Did you and David get together? I'd really like to hear both of your thoughts on Matt's latest creation.

I had Matt do his magic with my E5. It's the one on his web site. While I was waiting, JP's price get lower and lower and I finally bought his eXemplar too. I figured that I'd do a shoot out and the winner would go into my headphone system and the "loser" would replace the Ah Tjoeb in my spearker system.

The eXemplar arrived first but had a problem. While the rest of the machine would power up, the transport and front panel would not. I opened it up looking for an obvious loose or broken connection and could not find one. Eventually I sent it to John Tucker for repair. The loose connection was under the transport. While it was there, I got the opamp and analog filter upgrades.

While I was waiting, the E5 arrived. Unfortunately, the transport was damaged. I sent it to Dr. Art and he fixed it for a total of $20 including shipping. After reinstalling the transport, I was able to burn in the modded E5 for about 150 hours before the eXemplar came back.

The modded E5 is definitely a large improvement over the stock version. The bass is much more present and extended. It also is better in the details. I was sure it would win the comparo. Then I listened to the eXemplar. It was no contest. For me, the eXemplar does everything better than the E5. It has better timbre, attack, decay, extension, ... So the eXemplar stays in the headphone system and the E5 gets relegated to the speaker system.

If you can fine one, I highly recommend the Exemplar Denon 2900. The price on audiogon is between 1300 to 1600 USD. Exceptional performance in redbook, DVD-A, and SACD and a very nice DVD player to boot. I personally think the Denon 2900 is one level above your Modwright Sony DVP-999ES and slightly better than the Meridian G08. I'm sure Vickie and Hirsch also agree with my findings. The SACDmods C555ES that I used to have stands no chance against the 999ES let alone the Exemplar 2900. I currently use the Exemplar 2900 w/ my SDS+R10 with excellent results.