stax mafia electrostatic portable

kevin gilmore

On 4/14/2023 at 1:19 PM, yabba235 said:

As for the transformers on the outputs, I say no to them!

why
maybe you know where to read something from a scientific point of view why transformers are bad

QA Jecklin Transdyn tried to do it, but apparently it didn’t work out very well, but this shows that there are attempts to use transformers

Edited by usa_love

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2023 at 11:05 PM, usa_love said:

why
maybe you know where to read something from a scientific point of view why transformers are bad

QA Jecklin Transdyn tried to do it, but apparently it didn’t work out very well, but this shows that there are attempts to use transformers

Making good output transformers for tubes and not even estats have a pi chart of choices to make

1. Good Frequency response & low distortion 

2. Cheap

3. Small

You can only pick 2. 

Using a cheaper core than absolute ultimate ends in tears. Even if your core is very big but cheap the frequency response is still bad. 

And even in most cases, you can't have expensive and small, just doesn't exist 

And even the best core isn't a surefire way to make a good output transformer, winding method being also one of them

If you think all that metal somehow is faster than just raw amplification then you know nothing about transformers

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 8:27 PM, DaveLTX said:

faster

I focus only on my subjective feelings.

I also noticed that when using adapters through transformers - I can listen to them at a higher volume without overload than with any transistor amplifier, absolutely any

17 hours ago, usa_love said:

I focus only on my subjective feelings.

I also noticed that when using adapters through transformers - I can listen to them at a higher volume without overload than with any transistor amplifier, absolutely any

Transformers have real capacitance and inductance, semiconductors have far higher speed as a result than that when properly driven. Semiconductors have neglible inductance in this situation, maybe yes if you're talking about GHz range... I want to see that transformer reach GHz ;)