I need help with RS-1s

EdipisReks1

My late 90's RS-1, which is my absolute favorite headphones (I don't know what words to use; is it a trouser or a pair; if anybody should know it should be me) in the world, need to be fixed. I think it's just a solder joint that became brittle. They have been like this for a while, but I could sort of nudge them.

I called Grado about replacing the cable, and the woman (I assume a Grado relative, given her accent) could not promise that the drivers would't be replaced. In fact, she immediately mentioned that the drivers would be replaced, and I had to question her on that. The drivers have been blown into plenty of times. It's that sort of thing. Like a Rolex or a Montblanc, that defeats the purpose of even having it. I’d rather have a broken pair than a pair with new drivers  

I could fix the issue, soldering wise, but I can't open the cups with my stupid numb fingers. Is there anybody who is willing to crack them open? I'll happily pay what Grado wants. If it fails, I won't be mad. They just sit there. 

I think I've made this same thread before, more than a year ago, so clearly it's not urgent, but I would like to have the phones work if possible. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Jacob,

I think I commented the last time, can't remember honestly, so pardon the duplication if needed but the issue may quickly become how hard they are to separate and work on.  I seem to remember some of the Grados not taking kindly to trying to separate the driver housing from the other half and never having worked on RS-1s before that's the thing that makes me the most nervous.  The internets seem to say that this isn't an issue but I remember trying and failing to open one set of Grados and fearing that the heat and force used couldn't have been good for the driver.  

Anyway, sadly for me work is such a shit show right now that there's no way I could usefully offer to help.  I've overextended myself and will be paying the price for that for a while.  If somehow bandwidth frees up and you're still looking for help I'll respond here.

I’m going to send them to Grado. There will be a note taped in several places that says “do not replace the drivers.” It’s the same thing I do before I have surgery: “don’t cut this leg off,” with sharpie. Last time I had limb surgery the main surgical nurse laughed when he saw that I had already done it. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Haha 1

Yup. My suspicion is that they assume breaking the "old" drivers to get them off the wooden cups.

A luthier explained to me the procedure they follow to unglue the guitar neck from the body. They drill very tiny holes and they inject water steam for some time which softens the adhesive and allows the separation of the parts. It's possible that a similar procedure might work better than the usual hot air one, which is perhaps more difficult to control to avoid driver damage.

These are disposable/unrepairable headphones. Replacement drivers are built into the price. I'd clip out the metal screen and solder them in place as that's less likely to cause failure.

1 hour ago, Torpedo said:

luthier explained to me the procedure they follow to unglue the guitar neck from the body. They drill very tiny holes and they inject water steam for some time which softens the adhesive and allows the separation of the parts.

This works with hide glue, but probably not so well with PVA glue (the ubiquitous yellow wood glue). PVA is impervious to water - it's basically plastic and is designed to last in underwater applications. This is why antique furniture is repairable, but mid century furniture, and newer, generally isn't.

You could see if Zynsonix can recable them, it's at least worth an email

https://www.zynsonix.com/Contact_ep_52.html

I got a cable for my HE-560 from him and had no issues.  He's known as HighFlyin9 or something like that on most of the diy audo forums

There's also [email protected] but it looks like he's not taking orders until the summer.

19 hours ago, sbelyo said:

You could see if Zynsonix can recable them, it's at least worth an email

https://www.zynsonix.com/Contact_ep_52.html

I got a cable for my HE-560 from him and had no issues.  He's known as HighFlyin9 or something like that on most of the diy audo forums

That's a solid idea right there, he's good people and a member here @HiGHFLYiN9.