locky_z curve tracer

sbelyo

I just boought a locky_z curve tracer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Locky-z-2019-Curve-tracer/114233327020?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Has anyone here used one or have experience with one?  I was reading on another forum that the ones he's built with used parts sometimes fail.  They're also swapping out the relays, electrolitic caps, op amps, voltage ref, and some of the resistors for better accuracy.

I'm waiting on a power supply so can't use it just yet.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:58 PM, Pars said:

I thought @luvdunhill had one, but maybe not? I assume the other forum is diyaudio?

Yeah, there was one or two people on there that said they had failures.  One said the results were sometimes eratic and the other guy had a cap fail after 40 minutes

On 3/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, kevin gilmore said:

i have the older model, never had any trouble with it

I got the psu yesterday so I'll take a look at it totmorrow.  I bought it to match the BC546\BC556 for the unbal\bal and buffer boards

I use one of these https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/dca75-dca-pro-semiconductor-analyser.html

Not as capable as the Locky_z unit, but compact, curve tracing via USB, and plenty good enough for matching. Limited to <12V, <10mA

I also have the SOT23 adaptor for mine Peak unit, since many transistors are available only in this format now

I also have the peak dca75 and several adapters. It can't test at high voltages or currents but its insanely useful for identifying transistor pinoutsand the type of transistor. I have used it several times to identify bad/failed transistors making troubleshooting much easier. The windows software also provides curve tracing which is useful for matching small signal transistors and leds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, mine was DOA.  I set it up tonight for the first time with 36VDC.  Verified I had voltage at the supply and connector.  Plugged the power in, heard relays click.  Plugged in USB and no device detection.    Removed USB and power, then just plugged in the power.  That produced a spark when inserting the power connector.  I sent a message to Locky for assistance.  We'll see what needs to be replaced.  He included and empty populated board so worse comes to worse I'll populate that.

My advice, buy the one made with new components if in stock

Edited by sbelyo

• 1 month later...

I was wrong about my unit!   It didn't like being plugged in to a hub.  Wanted to be directly into the USB port on the PC.  Also, I had to start my power supply at like 2Vdc and slowly ramp up to 32Vdc.  It came to life after that.

• Like 2