Poor bass response

stolz

Hello,

I have a vintage pair of Realistic PRO-50 headphones which I believe are the same as the AKG K250  600 ohm.  (Made for Radio Shack by AKG.) They sound fine except for a very poor bass response. If I play them through either a software or hardware equalizer with the base controls pushed up high I do get a better bass response.  I am using them with a Schiit Magni 3 amplifier set on the high position.   I also get the same results with other headphone amps.

Is this normal for this headphone?   

Are there any modifications to the headphones that I can make to improve the bass response?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

I have found that separating the outer cups and inserting live cockroaches vastly improves bass response in these headphones. They need to be true German cockroaches, as palmetto bugs and African cockroaches are too big and bloat the bass to near unlistenable. 

6-8 roaches per cup should be about right. And don't  forget to sprinkle in some crushed mouse droppings every few weeks. Dead roaches don't make good bass!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I have found that separating the outer cups and inserting live cockroaches vastly improves bass response in these headphones. They need to be true German cockroaches, as palmetto bugs and African cockroaches are too big and bloat the bass to near unlistenable. 

6-8 roaches per cup should be about right. And don't  forget to sprinkle in some crushed mouse droppings every few weeks. Dead roaches don't make good bass!

the other solution is to wear a pair of JH13 under the headphones that will solve the poor bass response as well as general crappy sound quality 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1