not my day...

JBLoudG20

So I go to case up my M^3 today, and I snap the volume pot's shaft. Yes I snapped a shaft.

Dammit, so for the fuck of it I tried to epoxy that shit back into place. Game over for my RK27. Fuck.

So I fire up my VanTOTL tonight, to discover my only 6AS7 has decided that about 10 hours of use was enough, and one of the triodes is dead. At least I have a backup 6080.

*sigh* Amp maintenance isn't my idea of fun spending.

Not my week. after the b22 debacle, 15 dollars worth of opamps and adapters all either oscillated or just plain don't work with my dac- opamps that Ive seen work in other people's same dac. no one buys my glite/dps or stax. i got an overdraft charge on my bank. i cannot afford es2s because no one buys my stuff. i am lonely. i am hungry.

Not my week. after the b22 debacle, 15 dollars worth of opamps and adapters all either oscillated or just plain don't work with my dac- opamps that Ive seen work in other people's same dac. no one buys my glite/dps or stax. i got an overdraft charge on my bank. i cannot afford es2s because no one buys my stuff. i am lonely. i am hungry.

what up with the beta22?

well if you made dumplings, you'd be neither hungry, ot lonely cause I'd run there for them.

Well I guess my week wasn't as bad as I thought afterall. Sorry to hear about yours, but Karma speaking, it was your turn. Go buy a Lottery ticket or something, you might win something, at least the Lottery folks can't come to you and take more money.

I've had days like that, I fried the PSU on my KGCA when I went to adjust a trimpot and ended up shorting it out when I sneezed at the wrong time. Surprisingly the amp itself survived, but I had to make a run to the surplus store to pick up more PSU parts. Then there was the time I blew up the probes on my multimeter, I was measuring voltages in a rather tight space on my tube amp PSU. I found out the hard way what 500uF at roughly 350V can do when I accidentally crossed the probes while they were both in contact with the caps. The probes were vapourized, and my ears rang and I saw spots for hours. I had to get a new multimeter after that one.

I've come to accept that blowing stuff up is a part of DIY.

I gotta ask, how the hell does one snap the shaft off an RK27? I've been pretty unkind to things in my days and generally if something can be screwed up I'll figure out how to do it best but I've never managed that feat. And shoot me a PM if you're stuck looking for an RK27, I can toss one in the mail for you any day this week and save you the shipping you'd pay AMB and tangent.

I already ordered one from Tangent. thanks though.

I was using a grinder to shorten the shaft (I'm OCD for the length being perfect, andI've done this dozens of times before) and the grinding wheel grabbed the point that I had grinded, and spun the shaft. I didn't know wnyhting happened, until I was done, and went to turn the pot. Oops.

What went wrong, was I had forgotten to shorten the length before hand, and had already soldered the pots on the board. I couldn't hold it at the same angles I usually use, and I think that's what did me in. Oh well, could be worse.