Share your favorite stores and parts here.

omendelovitz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/8/2016 at 8:44 PM, charlo89 said:

http://www.goodcomponent.com/

This shop is nice ! You can find: teflon socket, OCC coper, nice transformer cover,  .... and the price is quite good. 

You can find this shop on ebay too, but their price are higher over there.

I guess I must have used these guys via ebay. Bought some of these knobs from them: http://www.goodcomponent.com/products/knobspotentiometers/aluminum-knobs/30x25mm-black-anodized-cnc-machined-solid-aluminum-volume-potentiometer-knob-with-set-screwgdak0178-1307.html

Nicely made, have a good feel to them. I'd rather just buy direct from them. Thanks for the link!

• 2 years later...

Wasn't sure where to put this. New desoldering tool I saw mentioned on diyaudio. These are hollow SS rods that you use for desoldering thru-hole components and clearing out the hole. Solder won't stick to them. I could have really used something like this for the thru-hole caps on dynalo minis with the 3oz. copper. I had a real hard time even using a hot air station AND my Hakko with a wide tip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JF9BJCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 9 months later...

I am wandering when people here assambled T2 and use it with Alps RK50 potentiometer from past age. Some years ago I inverstigated question about volume controls. Looked even on Bridged-T attenuator:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/bridged-t-attenuator.html

And as a conclusion: best attenuators are transformer TVCs. Until some music level resistors (even z-foil) is the best. But for Ultra HiEnd is TVC.

In attachments is mine. FR @1kHz=0db almost flat up to 1MGHz. It is better then Stevens and Billington TX-102 TVC, Music First Audio - Passive Magnetic Preamplifier and so on. Even this not the toppest one, but it is very very pleasent for hears.

_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0002.JPG

_DSC0003.JPG

_DSC0004.JPG

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As you know, There are a bit higher chances to find obsolete Japanese semiconductors in Japanese auction than eBay.   However it's true that still some (or many) of them are fakes, probably not as bad as eBay though.   I obtained reliable name list as below.  Their price isn't cheap, but you get guaranteed genuine parts.

masayanmori

kusto30145

wyxnb12593

Actually they belong to the company Tohri Electronics trade inc. and they use those Yahoo! auction accounts for private customers since Tohri's business is mainly B2B.   Tohri is known to have good stock of 2SJ79 and many other rare parts.    They can make combined shipping when you buy from those accounts in the same time, the sales contact person of Tohri said.   BTW I failed to get quote for large volume of J79 as they want to keep serving their limited stock to the customers who needs for long time.   I like that answer.

• Like 1

Interesting (for someone who has never tried buying direct from Japan). For us who aren't fluent in Japanese, are there any services you would recommend to assist? Just looking at Buyee now. Nothing I really need, but I like that they limit volume.

4 hours ago, Pars said:

Interesting (for someone who has never tried buying direct from Japan). For us who aren't fluent in Japanese, are there any services you would recommend to assist? Just looking at Buyee now. Nothing I really need, but I like that they limit volume.

As I'm a Japanese, I don't know much about those agents who support foreign customers in buying something in Japanese auction.   One of my German friend uses Tomodachi co. Ltd when he purchases motorcycle components (sometimes bulky) in Yahoo! auction and he is satisfied with their service, but I think he has never tried other services thus couldn't compare.

Just missed a Yahoo Japan auction on Buyee with tens of J74s, K170s, K117s and more, for just 1Yen starting bid (yes, 1 cent USD). I haven’t figured out how to make Buyee reminders sent in regular hours in my time zone. By default the emails arrive when I’m asleep (Pacific time).

btw, I found some C3381s in a local store, BL and GR grades, looks authentic. Maybe I can open a group buy sometime.

• 5 months later...

The local surplus store is closing its doors next month. To not let the 2SC3381s go into a black hole, I’m running a group buy. Mixed GR and BL grades, $0.5 each with minimum of 10 pcs. Shipped from California. PM me if interested. Also available 2SC3067 dual NPN at the same price. Sorry no JFETs or high voltage transistors. Group buy closes Friday 6/24. There is a chance someone may scoop them up before I do, in which case refund will be issued. Please don’t blame me if that happens.

• 10 months later...
On 9/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, bbest said:

I am wandering when people here assambled T2 and use it with Alps RK50 potentiometer from past age. Some years ago I inverstigated question about volume controls. Looked even on Bridged-T attenuator:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/bridged-t-attenuator.html

And as a conclusion: best attenuators are transformer TVCs. Until some music level resistors (even z-foil) is the best. But for Ultra HiEnd is TVC.

In attachments is mine. FR @1kHz=0db almost flat up to 1MGHz. It is better then Stevens and Billington TX-102 TVC, Music First Audio - Passive Magnetic Preamplifier and so on. Even this not the toppest one, but it is very very pleasent for hears.

is it a regulator that is based on different resistance of different turns in transformers? Wow

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 7:05 PM, usa_love said:

is it a regulator that is based on different resistance of different turns in transformers? Wow

Not exactly resistance - different lengths of second's wires. Very pure sound after this TVC, especially on low level volume.

Great source for Molex connectors, at really good pricing: Sager Electronics (https://www.sager.com) Shipping isn't very economical ($15 on a $35 order), but the pricing if you need much of anything makes up for it. Example: 08-52-0123 Molex KK pins, $0.143 on Mouser at 100 qty, $0.0857 on Sager at 100 qty. Two line items at 24 pieces each were $13.90 on Sager vs. $24 on Mouser. I'll have to check their other lines.

• 4 weeks later...

A Chinese parts vendor that actually seems to be legit, LCSC. Recommended to me by a guy on Diyaudio. They are associated with jlcpcb and provide all of their parts.

Needed some TPS7A3001DGNR, which are currently out to Aug. 2023 (they were out further than that when I ordered these) at Mouser. Ordered some from LCSC and they appear to be genuine (and function so). Shipping is expensive, and the more economical options take awhile to get, so I will only use as a last resort, but good to have.

• Like 1