What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

Lisey's Story. 

I hadn't heard anything about it. Ran into it on Apple tv. It's a Stephen King story. It's a limited series, 8 episodes. 

When I saw the cast I knew it had to be worth a watch. Dane Dehaan, Clive Owen, Joan Allen, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Julianne Moore.

It's Stephen King, so your not going to understand what's going on, but stick with it. I'm on episode 6 (unfortunately 7 and 8 haven't aired yet), and I'm hooked. Episode 7 airs tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Freaks and Geeks is legendary and it used to be fun to get into Freaks vs. Wonder Years fights! 

Speaking of the shows set in the 80s, anyone check out Physical (AppleTV)? Watched the pilot last night and cynical fuuun. 

Looks better than… 

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...

The Mentalist

Never watched it before, and seems a take on Psych, which actually referenced this show. Not too bad, and I enjoyed Simon Baker in The Devil Wears Prada, so I'm going to finish it out.

Also watched about half of Wynonna while someone else in the house was watching it. Was able to fill in plenty of holes there; enjoyable-enough little series.

Professor T (PBS) - quirky university professor helps police solve crimes. Think Jonny Lee Miller's "Elementary", or Eric McCormack's "Perception", and the like. But it's set in Cambridge, so it's different... ;)

/edit - apparently this is a direct rip...er, adaptation of a Belgian series of the same name. So, not so different *shrug

Still, it seems well-done so far. I like it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

The Mentalist

Never watched it before, and seems a take on Psych, which actually referenced this show. Not too bad, and I enjoyed Simon Baker in The Devil Wears Prada, so I'm going to finish it out.

Also watched about half of Wynonna while someone else in the house was watching it. Was able to fill in plenty of holes there; enjoyable-enough little series.

I liked that show. Robin Tunney and Simon Baker's characters had a fun dynamic.

I remember being surprised when I heard Simon Baker on a talk show. I had no idea he was from Oz.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:41 AM, blessingx said:

Anyone else watching Mike White’s The White Lotus [HBO]? Two episodes out so far and building its awkward fun. 

I tried the first two episodes as well. Just seemed like actors having fun at the four seasons wailea to me. Let me know if it starts to pick up.

Edited by TMoney

7 hours ago, TMoney said:

I tried the first two episodes as well. Just seemed like actors having fun at the four seasons wailea to me. Let me know if it starts to pick up.

Yeah, White’s name is all that got me past the first episode, but I did think it laid the ground work in the second and I enjoyed its growing cringy-ness. It’s a limited series so we’ll see, but very hopeful.

On the other end of hope, watched the pilot of Sexy Beasts, a dating show where the put sexy people with the worst personalities together to prove it’s “all about personalities”. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 7:41 AM, blessingx said:

Anyone else watching Mike White’s The White Lotus [HBO]? Two episodes out so far and building its awkward fun. 

Just watched the first two episodes. Some great characters. Liking it.

• Like 1

Also Lasso last night. Today, and I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but keep in mind the main characters are designed to be split between loving and hating musicals, Schmigadoon!

spacer.png

ETO_CLIP_SCHMIGADOON_071321_VIDPIC.jpg

spacer.png

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:44 PM, TMoney said:

Oh it's picked up alright!

This is my favorite show in a long while. I'm watching it alone, in my apartment, and I literally can't contain my laughter. The writers must have had a flippin' ball writing this stuff!

• Like 1

^ Yeah, I’m already in pre-withdrawal as there are only two episodes left. Mike White’s, I dunno what you want to call it, sympathetic ridiculousness, is so on and enjoyable and has been for him since the beginning (I’m sure his and his fathers history are relevant here). Not to mention the commentary. Going to have to go back to Chuck & Buck and Enlightened series again. 

Speaking of, hit pause on the HBO’s High Maintenance to consume the earlier, shorter, 19 Vimeo episodes, now on HBO as High Maintenance Web Series. I know this is going to sound like hyperbole, but I swear there may never have been a more compassionate series on American television. And it avoids corniness while doing so. 

• Like 1