What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

I'm going the opposite direction. He may not have succeeded, but White in an interview talked about his love for Succession, but its Privileged family lives in a bubble and distant "otherness" sets in, versus his goal here that it's any family at the next table or any of us with power/privilege using others. We all set lines differently, and maybe I've become soft, but I do have sympathy for nearly every character. [spoiler] I think in the second episode I turned towards Melissa and said "Ha, they're even going to get us to care about that horrible manager!". Every time Jennifer Coolidge moves a muscle (mouth or other) I feel her oblivious uncomfortableness. The tech family lost kids trying to built an angry wall or tune out. Those humorous, but normal, family conversations of identify. Trying to make a living in a tourist trap. The poor newlywed and masseuse mentioned above probably going to get crushed. And the series opening scene mystery... [/spoiler]

43 minutes ago, swt61 said:

With the exception of the newlywed wife and maybe the masseuse, I agree. I think that's kind of the point.

I guess I just have a cold heart 😉. Even with those two I'd think the wife would have had to have some sense of what she was getting herself in to and the masseuse is trying to forming a business with someone not of sound mind.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TMoney said:

I guess I just have a cold heart 😉. Even with those two I'd think the wife would have had to have some sense of what she was getting herself in to and the masseuse is trying to forming a business with someone not of sound mind.

🤷‍♂️

I know I should let this go, but I find this stuff fun and think it's cool this show is spawning conversation, so if you don't mind using the honeymoon wife... 😉

[spoiler](spoiler){spoiler}What do we know about her? She's got rose-colored glasses and wants to make a difference. She may be coming to the conclusion she may not be very good at her job. He comes from big money and she comes from a family that can't afford flying to Hawaii. She's surprised by his seemingly new lack of caring about her work (may have been naive here) and interrelated he's surprised she wants to keep her own identity now that they're married. Finally, after he's flirting with others, she questions his feelings for the future after she loses her physical beauty and he responds, not with all the other reasons he loves her, but that he would never lose that attraction to her physical beauty. She's smiles satisfied.

Do I have that list right? If so, clearly not completely innocent, but an understandable participant in the possible disaster? I dunno. What do you think? {/spoiler}(/spoiler)[/spoiler]

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

That is pretty much the same way that I see her as well.

As far as the rest of the cast...

I find it quite refreshing not to need to build a sympathetic feeling for them. It's not that they're horrible people, but they're severely flawed in the most appetizing way. The manager for example is a complete train wreck, and I get to go along for the ride without actually derailing myself. Besides, he is almost a montage of several creepy guys from my past. Of which I'm still thankful I was able to dodge and weave.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, blessingx said:

Also Lasso last night. Today, and I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but keep in mind the main characters are designed to be split between loving and hating musicals, Schmigadoon!

spacer.png

ETO_CLIP_SCHMIGADOON_071321_VIDPIC.jpg

spacer.png

Reminding me of Galavant - in a good way. 

• Like 1

The Other Two (HBO) - two late-20's/early-30's siblings struggle with their own life issues amidst their 13-y/o younger brother's celebrity success (ala young Justin Beiber). Lots of NY locations (ala High Maintenance), & Molly Shannon is their mother (ala White Lotus). Created by SNL writers, but it's actually consistently funny. The class/culture-related sarcasm with the humor works for me (unlike the darker, drama White Lotus, which was just icky & depressing, imo).

About halfway through season 1. S2 is about to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Any chance we get to see the siblings beat up the Bieber-esque character? That would seal it for me.

Doubtful, since the young brother is very likeable & quite innocent to what is going on around him. His older siblings realize that. So the hate is not directed toward Beiber, but rather the system that propels him into celebrity.

I loved the characters and some great acting.

Catherine Keener has an especially juicy role that she excels at.

But it does get quite weird!

As for White Lotus, episode 4 was my favorite, which will be obvious to anyone that knows me. But I enjoyed all of it.

After The White Lotus, which wasn't bad but didn't end up being as good as I expected, watched season 2 of "Why Women Kill". Pretty weaker than season 1. Entertaining is the best that I can say about it.

I'm waiting for this morons of Movistar to end streaming Season 5 of The Good Fight next week, so I can watch it all in a row. Meanwhile I have some football (soccer for those beyond the sea) to watch :D