What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

I've been watching this as well (my youngest son turned me on to it). It is a difficult watch, for the reasons stated previously. My wife hates it, so late night only for me. I'm most of the way thru the first season, and will keep watching it. I'd agree about the acting, particularly Rue.

• Like 2

I started watching Reacher over the weekend after reading a couple of favorable (but not great) reviews online.  Two episodes in and I’d rate it exactly the kind of mindless entertainment that I look for a lot of the time.  It’s a far better take on the character than the abysmal Tom Cruise based films, so in that regard it’s light years better.  I also enjoy that they’re adapting one novel per season, which seems like the right balance of action/pace considering how complex the stories are (not overly so, but not great condensed into a 2hr time slot).  

• Like 2

Funny Nate as I did the same thing and watched the first 2-3 episodes. I didn't mind Cruise (and haven't read the books), but I think this take is probably better and sounds like it adheres to the book(s) aesthetic better. Mindless entertainment is a perfect description as well :)

On 2/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, Pars said:

Funny Nate as I did the same thing and watched the first 2-3 episodes. I didn't mind Cruise (and haven't read the books), but I think this take is probably better and sounds like it adheres to the book(s) aesthetic better. Mindless entertainment is a perfect description as well :)

Cruise did a passable job at the attitude of Reacher but the book’s character is quite literally (and as depicted in the new TV series) larger than life.  But he’s also an intellectual, something that the TV series hasn’t really shown yet and may not get to as it’s an incredibly complex character.  The books are enjoyable easy reads with moderate suspense and compelling stories and characters.  Nothing that’s going to change your life perspective or anything like that, but firmly planted in the entertaining category.

In a similar vein, I wish someone would take a stab at a series about the Virgil Flowers stories.  They seem pretty much ready-made for adaptation with enough CSI-like elements to attract that crowd but enough to set them apart based on the characters roots/motivation.  I’d watch the heck out of that too.

• Like 1

The Gilded Age (HBO) - A new series from Julian Fellowes of "Downton Abbey" fame, this time set in late 19th century NYC. This has exceeded my expectations so far, with a much more diversified cast of characters than "DA", and less sentimental (but still romantic) overall. The script is razor sharp, and the fashions are phenomenal - a true treat for the eyes. Here's one promo shot:

The Gilded Age star Morgan Spector has a VERY famous wife - and you'll  definitely recognise her | HELLO!

• Like 4