What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

On 7/25/2022 at 7:50 PM, shellylh said:

Just finished Season 1 of High Maintenance.  How is it that I just starting watching this.  Great! 

It's so good. Are you watching the original Vimeo show (now called High Maintenance Web Series on HBO) or the HBO version? Both incredible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Those last two episodes were really great. Perfect landing. As much as the series writing generally and main character were wonderful and the acting all around so good (Carol Burnett!), I want to say thanks for writing in more Mike Ehrmantraut (like the MCU, there should be a MTU where Jonathan Banks shows up on all shows when the plot gets ridiculous so Banks can reground them) and Kimberly "fuckin'" Wexler, who at least as much as Jimmy/Saul drew the moral line for us. Why doesn't Rhea Seehorn already have a newer entry on IMDB? 

BCS_613_GL_0130_0153-RT.jpg.f442477f627364f78dfbbd389475229f.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

It was just one episode, but I'm excited to have Game of Thrones back.

It feels like a new start for them after the last show collapsed under its own weight down the home stretch.

Hope they pull this off! There is nothing like a well done big-budget epic fantasy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So this Lord of the Rings show… three episodes in and I’m very confused.

Who is the show for? Is it for lore-heads, for casuals? As someone in between (read the books, loved the Jackson trilogy) so far I can’t tell.

They’ve got like 4 or 5 different storylines going and so far its hard to really care about any of them. I don’t know? Anyone else watching? Are you enjoying it so far?

I’ll give it another week or two before deciding whether to cut bait or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TMoney said:

Who is the show for? Is it for lore-heads, for casuals? As someone in between (read the books, loved the Jackson trilogy) so far I can’t tell.

They’ve got like 4 or 5 different storylines going and so far its hard to really care about any of them. I don’t know? Anyone else watching? Are you enjoying it so far?

I haven’t seen the third episode yet (though like a Guardian review title of it “Less slow-motion horse riding please!”), but reasonably enjoyed the first two. It’s fun to be in a time where weekly you can jump back and forth between two shows tackling a similar fake English history, through very different lenses (though I worry fake white history is exactly what we don’t want to be feeding supremacists in the time of Trump). My non-fan status of the books and movies* may bar me from being a targeted audience (or as I’m enjoying this series so far more than the books and movies a clue to your question), but I’m also confused about that audience target. I know there’s always been a man-child component here, but is this thing a kids or adult show? I don’t mean to pigeonhole it, but to understand motivations, besides simply plot advancement (my biggest problem with films).
For what it’s worth, I tend to watch the two shows late, and at the end of the House of the Dragon episodes I’ve been wide awake guessing what’s next and at the end of the first two Rings of Power the eyes are pretty tired, though that could be all the slo-mo. Like you I’ll probably give it another episode or two. And, c’mon, everyone watch The Bear! 

*But keep in mind I’m likely visiting the Northern California Renaissance Faire next weekend, so not immune to some charms of the genre.  

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TMoney said:

It's for me, whatever group that is.

Obviously, the groups are ...

Spoiler

...going to merge, and it's going to be another Friendellowship Of The not-the-Ring.  I mean, we already have Arondir in the middle of the Southlands trouble, and Galadriel heading there, dragging Halbrand and Elendil and possibly Isildur along with her whether they like it or not.

Nori is going to bring The Person ex Machina Stranger who's going to either save the day or make things worse.

And WTF, Theo?  Have we learned nothing?  DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY POWER.  Stupid child.

Watched the first episode last night. The timeline has changed. The supporting characters are similar, but have been tweaked to fit modern times. But overall a very similar storyline.

Interesting cast. Wayne Brady plays a character not that far removed from his famous Chapelle Show skit. Rosy O'Donnell plays the cop.

Good first episode and I'm hopeful it doesn't go downhill.

• Like 1

The book is truly terrible. But I think the show still stands up against anything peak TV can throw at it. In particular, shows like the sopranos, g.o.t., breaking bad etc. all seem to say that when circumstances are trying, people become selfish and cruel. MASH otoh shows people in the most desperate of circumstances doing just the opposite.

• Like 5

Doug, that show was about people from the Fifties. We are not those people any longer. The shows you mentioned do a pretty good job of presenting the people we are today, for better or worse. I'm a big fan of M.A.S.H. too, but the majority of people today don't do things for the greater good. 

On 9/12/2022 at 7:30 AM, swt61 said:

Watched the first episode last night. The timeline has changed. The supporting characters are similar, but have been tweaked to fit modern times. But overall a very similar storyline.

Interesting cast. Wayne Brady plays a character not that far removed from his famous Chapelle Show skit. Rosy O'Donnell plays the cop.

Good first episode and I'm hopeful it doesn't go downhill.

This looks like it's going to be way better than the movie was, which admittedly is not a hard thing to achieve. They've done a good job with the cast.

• Like 1